Solve Problem of Relative Movement: 52.5° South of West

What does that have to do with the $\sqrt{2}$?In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving finding the velocity of a boat relative to a river and how to calculate the angle of the velocity components. The solution involves using vector addition and understanding the properties of right isosceles triangles. The final result is a velocity of 0.455 m/s at 28.5 degrees west of south.
leprofece
Please Solve this problem
View attachment 2566

Book answer
The velocity components are
x = 0.50 m/s y = (0.40 m/s)/sqrt (2) east and (0.40 m/s)/sqrt (2) south,
for a velocity relative to the Earth of 0.36 m/s, 52.5 south of west.

Ok I think these components are of an angle of 45 º
but whwn i Calculate from my grapf arctg(0,4)/0.5 = 0.8 I got a 38,39 º angle
So where do these components come from??
Thanks for your helping
taken from sears book in english edition

Attachments

• physi1.jpg
    physi1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 82
Mathematics news on Phys.org
leprofece said:
Please Solve this problem
View attachment 2566

Book answer
The velocity components are
x = 0.50 m/s y = (0.40 m/s)/sqrt (2) east and (0.40 m/s)/sqrt (2) south,
for a velocity relative to the Earth of 0.36 m/s, 52.5 south of west.

Ok I think these components are of an angle of 45 º
but whwn i Calculate from my grapf arctg(0,4)/0.5 = 0.8 I got a 38,39 º angle
So where do these components come from??
Thanks for your helping
taken from sears book in english edition

Let the velocity of the boat with respect to the Earth be $\vec{v}_b$ and that of the river be $\vec{v}_r$. Then the velocity of the boat with respect to the river is $\vec{v}_{b_r}=\vec{v}_b-\vec{v}_r$

Which to me seems to give 0.455 m/s at 28.5 degrees west of south.

zzephod said:
Let the velocity of the boat with respect to the Earth be $\vec{v}_b$ and that of the river be $\vec{v}_r$. Then the velocity of the boat with respect to the river is $\vec{v}_{b_r}=\vec{v}_b-\vec{v}_r$

Which to me seems to give 0.455 m/s at 28.5 degrees west of south.

How do you get the angle??
arctg(o,5/0.4)?

leprofece said:
How do you get the angle??
arctg(o,5/0.4)?

What have you got for $\vec{v}_b$ and $\vec{v}_r$? So what do you have for $\vec{v}_{b_r}$?

The angle you are interested in is then related to $\arctan(\vec{v}_{b_r,2}/\vec{v}_{b_r,1})$, where the numeric subscripts in this last expression denote the components of $\vec{v}_{b_r}$.

Hello, leprofece!

3.39 A canoe has a velocity of 0.4 m/sec southeast
relative to the earth. The canoe is in on a river
that is flowing 0.5 m/s east relative to the earth.
Find the velocity (magnitude and direction of
the canoe relative to the river.

[textdraw]
A 0.5 C
o - - - - - o
\ * \
0.4 \ * \
\ * \
o - - - - - o
B D[/textdraw]
The canoe is moving from A to B.
. . [tex]\overrightarrow{AB} \:=\:\left\langle \tfrac{0.4}{\sqrt{2}},\:-\tfrac{0.4}{\sqrt{2}}\right\rangle \:=\:\langle 0.2\sqrt{2},\:-0.2\sqrt{2}\rangle[/tex]

The current is moving from A to C.
. . [tex]\overrightarrow{AC} \:=\:\langle 0.5,\:0\rangle[/tex]

The resultant is:
. . [tex]\overrightarrow{AD} \:=\:\overrightarrow{AB} + \overrightarrow{AC} \:=\:\langle 0.5+0.2\sqrt{2},\:-0.2\sqrt{2}\rangle [/tex]

Can you carry on from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
soroban said:
Hello, leprofece!

Code:
    A      0.5      C
      o - - - - - o
       \  *        \
    0.4 \     *     \
         \        *  \
          o - - - - - o
        B               D
. . [tex]\overrightarrow{AB} \:=\:\left\langle \tfrac{0.4}{\sqrt{2}},\:-\tfrac{0.4}{\sqrt{2}}\right\rangle \:=\:\langle 0.2\sqrt{2},\:-0.2\sqrt{2}\rangle[/tex]

The resultant is:
. . [tex]\overrightarrow{AD} \:=\:\overrightarrow{AB} + \overrightarrow{AC} \:=\:\langle 0.5+0.2\sqrt{2},\:-0.2\sqrt{2}\rangle [/tex]

If the boat is moving wrt the Earth at the same velocity as the river the velocity wrt the river is 0. With your argument wrt the river its velocity is doubled.

PS repeating my arithmetic my numeric answer now agrees with the book.

Last edited:
soroban said:
Hello, leprofece!

[textdraw]
A 0.5 C
o - - - - - o
\ * \
0.4 \ * \
\ * \
o - - - - - o
B D[/textdraw]

The resultant is:

But where do the angles come from?' I figure out the angle is 45
but is it from the figure about?? (trapeziodal)??

I do not understand where the \sqrt{2} is coming from

gcfarley said:
I do not understand where the \sqrt{2} is coming from

Consider a right isosceles triangle. If the legs have length $x$, then what length is the hypotenuse?

Related to Solve Problem of Relative Movement: 52.5° South of West

1. What is the problem of relative movement?

The problem of relative movement refers to understanding the motion of an object in relation to another moving object or frame of reference. It involves calculating the direction and speed of an object relative to another object or observer.

2. How do you solve a problem of relative movement?

To solve a problem of relative movement, you first need to identify the direction and speed of the moving objects or frames of reference. Then, you can use mathematical equations, such as the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions, to calculate the relative motion between the objects.

3. Why is it important to solve problems of relative movement?

Problems of relative movement are important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. Understanding the relative motion between objects is crucial for predicting and controlling their movement, and for designing efficient and accurate systems.

4. What is the significance of 52.5° South of West in the problem of relative movement?

52.5° South of West is a specific direction in relation to another object or frame of reference. It indicates that the object is moving at an angle of 52.5° towards the south direction and away from the west direction. This information is important for accurately calculating the relative motion of the object.

5. Can the problem of relative movement be solved in different coordinate systems?

Yes, the problem of relative movement can be solved in different coordinate systems as long as the relative motion between the objects is properly defined and the appropriate equations are used. Some common coordinate systems used include Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, and spherical coordinates.