Solve Physics Lab Black Box Enigma

In summary, the unknown object was a coil of wire with a magnet inside of it, and when the flux of the magnet was changed, it caused the lightbulb to light up.
xiuxiu
I was recently given a physics lab and it's very hard for me to complete. We were shown a demonstration in which some unknown object was in a "black box." There was a wire leading from the box that was plugged in, thus the object was charged. A light bulb was led around the box. Then, at the top of the box, the bulb (with wires or some magnetic base maybe on the bottom?) lit when it reached the top of the box. The farther the lightbulb got from the box, the dimmer it became. I have a few ideas, but can't seem to come up with a working hypothesis. I think the object might be a transformer, some sort of tesla coil, or maybe some sort of broadcast-type object which can transmit electricity. So far, nothing I have come up with is capable of just transmitting a small charge to a small lightbulb through the air.

Physics news on Phys.org
xiuxiu said:
I was recently given a physics lab and it's very hard for me to complete. We were shown a demonstration in which some unknown object was in a "black box." There was a wire leading from the box that was plugged in, thus the object was charged. A light bulb was led around the box. Then, at the top of the box, the bulb (with wires or some magnetic base maybe on the bottom?) lit when it reached the top of the box. The farther the lightbulb got from the box, the dimmer it became. I have a few ideas, but can't seem to come up with a working hypothesis. I think the object might be a transformer, some sort of tesla coil, or maybe some sort of broadcast-type object which can transmit electricity. So far, nothing I have come up with is capable of just transmitting a small charge to a small lightbulb through the air.

Your ideas are probably going in the right direction. The something on the bottom of the bulb could be just a wire loop, or coil of wire connected to the inner and outer connector of the bulb. What happens in a coil of wire if you change the magnetic "flux" through the coil? Three crossed coils would ensure that one of them is always lined up right to get some effect. But it could be made direction dependent, so if "led around the box" means no light there, a directional selection effect was probably at work.

Thanks. I don't know what happens if I change the magnetic flux through the coil? We were only given one demonstration. Anyway, I ended up handing it and I said it was a coil of wire with a magnet inside of it. I stated that some machine moved the magnet back and forth through the coil... haha I had no clue...

Ohh... If you change the magnetic flux, doesn't it reverse the direction of the current? So... sorry about that last reply... haha I'm still lost? :confused:

Related to Solve Physics Lab Black Box Enigma

1. What is a black box in a physics lab?

A black box in a physics lab refers to an experimental setup that is not fully understood or known by the observer. It can also refer to a device or system whose internal workings are not visible or accessible to the user.

2. How do you solve a black box enigma in a physics lab?

The first step to solving a black box enigma is to carefully observe and analyze the inputs and outputs of the system. This can include measuring various physical properties and recording data. Then, using your knowledge of physics principles and theories, you can create hypotheses and run experiments to test them. Through trial and error and the process of elimination, the enigma can be solved.

3. What are the challenges of solving a black box enigma in a physics lab?

Solving a black box enigma can be challenging because the system is not fully known, making it difficult to predict the outcomes of experiments. Additionally, there may be multiple factors at play that affect the system, making it a complex problem to solve. It also requires a deep understanding of physics principles and the ability to think critically and creatively.

4. Can a black box enigma in a physics lab be solved without conducting experiments?

In most cases, conducting experiments is necessary to solve a black box enigma in a physics lab. However, in some cases, it may be possible to use mathematical models and simulations to predict the behavior of the system. This can be helpful in narrowing down potential solutions and reducing the number of experiments needed.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving black box enigmas in physics?

The ability to solve black box enigmas in physics has many real-life applications, including in the fields of engineering, technology, and medicine. It allows scientists to understand and improve upon complex systems such as electronic devices, aircraft engines, and medical equipment. It also helps in the development of new technologies and treatments by understanding the underlying principles and mechanisms at play.