Solve pH of Solution with 0.1M Ammonia & 0.141M Ammonium Chloride

• Thread starter Ukitake Jyuushirou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry Ph
In summary, the formula for calculating the pH of a solution with ammonia and ammonium chloride is: pH = pKa + log([NH3]/[NH4+]). To determine the concentration of ammonia and ammonium chloride in the solution, you will need to know the initial concentrations of each compound and the volume of the solution. The pKa value for ammonium is 9.25, indicating its strength as an acid. Different concentrations of ammonia and ammonium chloride can be used in the solution, but it is important to use the correct concentrations in the calculation of pH. Adding more ammonia will increase the pH, while adding more ammonium chloride will decrease it, but the exact change will depend on the initial concentrations and amount added.
Ukitake Jyuushirou
What is the pH of a solution 0.1 M in ammonia and 0.141 M in ammonium chloride? (Kb for ammonia is 1.8e-5)

i would really appreciate if someone can pt me in the right direction on how to solve this qn

Physics news on Phys.org
It will help if you write out the equation for [tex]K_{b}[/tex].

Also, remember that ammonium chloride is soluble in water and dissociates completely, producing ammonium and chloride ions.

Related to Solve pH of Solution with 0.1M Ammonia & 0.141M Ammonium Chloride

1. What is the formula for calculating the pH of a solution with ammonia and ammonium chloride?

The formula for calculating the pH of a solution with ammonia and ammonium chloride is: pH = pKa + log([NH3]/[NH4+]), where pKa is the acid dissociation constant of ammonium, [NH3] is the concentration of ammonia, and [NH4+] is the concentration of ammonium ions.

2. How do I determine the concentration of ammonia and ammonium chloride in the solution?

To determine the concentration of ammonia and ammonium chloride in the solution, you will need to know the initial concentrations of each compound and the volume of the solution. Then, using the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between ammonia and ammonium chloride, you can calculate the final concentrations of each compound.

3. What is the pKa value for ammonium?

The pKa value for ammonium is 9.25. This value indicates the strength of the ammonium ion as an acid, with lower values indicating a stronger acid.

4. Can I use a different concentration of ammonia and ammonium chloride in the solution?

Yes, you can use different concentrations of ammonia and ammonium chloride in the solution. However, the pH of the solution will vary depending on the concentrations used. It is important to use the correct concentrations in the calculation of pH.

5. How does the pH of the solution change if I add more ammonia or ammonium chloride?

Adding more ammonia to the solution will increase the pH, as it will shift the equilibrium towards the formation of NH4+. On the other hand, adding more ammonium chloride will decrease the pH, as it will increase the concentration of H+ ions in the solution. The exact change in pH will depend on the initial concentrations of ammonia and ammonium chloride, as well as the amount added.