Solve Periodic Digital Signal: x[n]=1+cos(pi*n/3)+3sin(pi*n/2)

In summary, the periodic digital signal x[n] has a period of 12 samples. To calculate the values of x[n] over one complete period, a table can be made by calculating x[0], x[1], x[2], ..., x[12]. The values for the cosine and sine functions can be found by looking at the arguments of n pi/3 and n pi/2, respectively, and noting that they complete a cycle as n goes from 0 to 6 and 4, respectively.
BarryThomas89
Hey guys, I'm trying to revise for a DSP exam I have this week and I'm looking at past papers I have. I've got the question, and the out and out answer but it doesn't show the workings so I'm struggling to find out how to get there;For the following periodic digital signal;
x[n]=1+cos(pi*n/3)+3 sin(pi*n/2)

i)How many samples are there in one period?
ii)Tabulate the values of x[n] over one complete period

The answer to i) is 8, and I've got the plot for ii) but getting there is just baffling me, so if anyone can shed some light on it, or point me to some reading material, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
BarryThomas89 said:
Hey guys, I'm trying to revise for a DSP exam I have this week and I'm looking at past papers I have. I've got the question, and the out and out answer but it doesn't show the workings so I'm struggling to find out how to get there;

For the following periodic digital signal;
x[n]=1+cos(pi*n/3)+3 sin(pi*n/2)

i)How many samples are there in one period?
ii)Tabulate the values of x[n] over one complete period

The answer to i) is 8, and I've got the plot for ii) but getting there is just baffling me, so if anyone can shed some light on it, or point me to some reading material, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Assuming you have writting the problem correctly, I don't get 8 for the period of x[n]. The period of the cosine term is 6 and the period of the sine term is 4. The smallest integer that is divisible evenly by 6 and 4 is 12, not 8.

You may be on to something here. Because another thing that confused me about the answers given is that 8 was given for the first part, and the plot had 12 values...
Is it easy to explain how you got there, or do you know anywhere I can read up on it?

It's pretty easy to explain, and I pretty much did so in my first reply. I'll see if I can elaborate a bit.

cos(n pi/3) goes through a complete cycle in 6 units. sin(n pi/2) goes through a complete cycle in 4 units. The sum of these functions goes through a complete cycle in the smallest integer that is evenly divisible by 6 and 4, and that's 12.

Do they do complete cycles in 6 and 4 because there's 2 pi in one period? Or is that coincidence?
Also, any tips on the second part?

Both the sine and cosine function complete a cycle as the argument goes from 0 to 2 pi. For cos(n pi/3), n pi/3 goes from 0 to 2pi as n goes from 0 to 6. For sin(n pi/2), n pi/2 goes from 0 to 2pi as n goes from 0 to 4.

The second part is pretty simple; just make a table of values, calculating x[0], x[1], x[2], ..., x[12].

Related to Solve Periodic Digital Signal: x[n]=1+cos(pi*n/3)+3sin(pi*n/2)

1. What is a periodic digital signal?

A periodic digital signal is a type of signal that repeats itself at regular intervals. This means that the signal values will repeat themselves after a certain number of samples, called the period. In the given equation x[n], the signal is periodic with a period of 6.

2. How is the amplitude of a periodic digital signal determined?

The amplitude of a periodic digital signal is determined by the highest and lowest values of the signal. In the given equation x[n], the amplitude is 4, as it ranges from 0 to 4.

3. What is the frequency of the given periodic digital signal?

The frequency of a periodic digital signal is the number of times the signal repeats itself in one second. In the given equation x[n], the frequency is 2 Hz, as the signal repeats itself twice in one second.

4. How can this periodic digital signal be graphed?

This periodic digital signal can be graphed by plotting the values of the signal (y-axis) against the sample numbers (x-axis). The graph will show a repeating pattern every 6 samples, with a maximum value of 4 and a minimum value of 0.

5. How can this periodic digital signal be used in real-life applications?

Periodic digital signals are commonly used in applications such as audio and video processing, digital communications, and control systems. They can also be used to model periodic phenomena in nature, such as heartbeats and sound waves.