Solve Parallel Resonance: L&C Values & Resistance of Coil

In summary, a coil and capacitor placed in series resonate at a frequency of 2251Hz, while in parallel they resonate at a frequency of 2228Hz. At parallel resonance, a current of 5mA flows from the supply when the supply voltage is 25V r.m.s. The parallel resistance can be calculated to be 5000 Ohms. The value of the capacitor and inductance, as well as the resistance of the coil, can be determined using the formulas fs = 1/(2Π√LC) and fp = 1/2Π √(1/LC-R^2/L^2). The wikipedia.org article on RLC resonance can provide further guidance.
drizzt72
When placed in series a coil and capacitor resonate at a frequency of 2251Hz and when placed in parallel they resonate at a frequency of 2228Hz. At parallel resonance it is also found that a current of 5mA flows from the supply when the supply voltage is 25V r.m.s.
Determine the value of the capacitor and the inductance and the resistance of the coil.

fs = 1/(2Π√LC)

fp = 1/2Π √(1/LC-R^2/L^2 )

From the information given, I can work out the parallel resistance:

R = vs / I
= 25 / 0.005
= 5000 Ohms.

But from this I don't know which way to go. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

drizzt72 said:
When placed in series a coil and capacitor resonate at a frequency of 2251Hz and when placed in parallel they resonate at a frequency of 2228Hz. At parallel resonance it is also found that a current of 5mA flows from the supply when the supply voltage is 25V r.m.s.
Determine the value of the capacitor and the inductance and the resistance of the coil.

fs = 1/(2Π√LC)

fp = 1/2Π √(1/LC-R^2/L^2 )

From the information given, I can work out the parallel resistance:

R = vs / I
= 25 / 0.005
= 5000 Ohms.

But from this I don't know which way to go. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

The wikipedia.org article on RLC resonance is pretty good, and should help you out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_series_circuit

Related to Solve Parallel Resonance: L&C Values & Resistance of Coil

1. What is parallel resonance?

Parallel resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when a circuit composed of a resistor, inductor, and capacitor reaches a state where the current flowing through the circuit is at its maximum value. This is due to the reactive components of the circuit canceling out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit.

2. How do L&C values affect parallel resonance?

The L&C values, or the values of the inductor and capacitor in the circuit, determine the frequency at which the circuit will resonate. As the values increase, the resonant frequency decreases. These values also affect the magnitude of the current at resonance.

3. What is the role of resistance in parallel resonance?

Resistance in a parallel resonance circuit helps to dampen the current at resonance and prevent it from becoming infinite. It also affects the bandwidth of the circuit, which is the range of frequencies that will result in a significant resonance response.

4. How do you solve for the L&C values and resistance of a coil in a parallel resonance circuit?

To solve for the L&C values and resistance of a coil in a parallel resonance circuit, you can use the equations:
L = R²/ω0²C
C = 1/ω0²L
where ω0 is the resonant frequency. You can also use a circuit simulator or conduct experiments to determine these values.

5. How can parallel resonance be applied in real-world applications?

Parallel resonance has various applications in the field of electrical engineering, such as in radio frequency circuits, filters, and amplifiers. It is also used in power systems to improve power factor correction and regulate voltage levels. In the field of medicine, parallel resonance is utilized in MRI machines to produce images of the body's internal structures.