Solve Numerical Problem: Proton Mass, Charge, Speed & Electric Field Strength

• Thread starter Samia qureshi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numerical
In summary, a proton with a mass of 1.67*10^-27kg and charge of 1.6*10^-19C initially moves at a speed of 3*10^6m/s against a uniform electric field. After traveling a distance of 1.0cm in the field, its speed is reduced by 50%. To determine the strength of the field, the work-energy theorem can be used, or alternatively, the formula F=K[q1][q2]/r^2. Both methods can be used to solve this problem, with the work-energy theorem being considered easier by some.
Samia qureshi
A Proton Of Mass 1.67*10^-27kg And Charge 1.6*10^-19c Moving At An Initial Speed 3*10^6m/s Against A Uniform Electric Field Has Its Speed Reduced By 50% After Covering A Distance Of 1.0cm In The Field. Determine The Strength Of The Field? help me solve this problem what formula should i use to solve it.

Likes lord sauron
Physics news on Phys.org
Samia qureshi said:
what formula should i use to solve it
Newton's Second Law of Motion

Likes Samia qureshi
The work-energy theorem can be used also to solve this.

can't we use F=K[q1][q2]/r^2 ?

I think it's easier to use work-energy theorem

Likes Samia qureshi
Said Ahmad said:
I think it's easier to use work-energy theorem
i will try this also Thank you :)

Related to Solve Numerical Problem: Proton Mass, Charge, Speed & Electric Field Strength

1. What is the mass of a proton?

The mass of a proton is approximately 1.67 x 10^-27 kilograms.

2. What is the charge of a proton?

The charge of a proton is +1 elementary charge, which is equivalent to 1.6 x 10^-19 coulombs.

3. How do you calculate the speed of a proton?

The speed of a proton can be calculated using the equation v = √(2KE/m), where v is the speed, KE is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the proton.

4. What is the electric field strength of a proton?

The electric field strength of a proton is dependent on the distance from the proton and is given by the equation E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the proton, and r is the distance from the proton.

5. How does the electric field strength of a proton affect other charged particles?

The electric field strength of a proton will exert a force on any other charged particles in its vicinity. The magnitude of this force depends on the strength of the electric field and the charge of the other particle. The direction of the force will be towards or away from the proton depending on the charge of the other particle.