Solve Newtons Laws Problem: Find Acceleration & Force

In summary: But it's also good practice to occasionally step back and think about what's really going on physically.In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a physics problem involving a chain of 3 identical links connected to a string. The person is trying to find the acceleration of the chain and the force exerted by the top link on the middle link. Through the conversation, it is determined that the acceleration can be calculated using the formula F = m*a, and the force between the two links can be found by simplifying the equation f = 2 mg + 2 ma. The final answer is determined to be 2/3 F. It is also noted that it is important to understand the formalism of physics, but
iluvphys
Dear all, I hope you could help me out a little.

Homework Statement

A person tries to raise a chain of 3 identical links; where each of the links has mass m.
The chain is connected to a string is suspended vertically with the person holding the upper end of the string and pulling upward.
Because of the person´s pull an upward force of F is applied to the chain by the string.

a) Find the acceleration of the chain.
b) Find the force exerted by the top link on the middle link.

Homework Equations

F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get the acceleration which is (F-3mg)/3m!

For part B i was able to get the answer: 2(mg+ma). Which i believe is correct. But the program i am using tells me the answer is wrong and doesn't depend on the variables m and a.
Is there another way to describe this? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi iluvphys,

iluvphys said:
Dear all, I hope you could help me out a little.

Homework Statement

A person tries to raise a chain of 3 identical links; where each of the links has mass m.
The chain is connected to a string is suspended vertically with the person holding the upper end of the string and pulling upward.
Because of the person´s pull an upward force of F is applied to the chain by the string.

a) Find the acceleration of the chain.
b) Find the force exerted by the top link on the middle link.

Homework Equations

F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get the acceleration which is (F-3mg)/3m!

For part B i was able to get the answer: 2(mg+ma). Which i believe is correct. But the program i am using tells me the answer is wrong and doesn't depend on the variables m and a.
Is there another way to describe this? Please help.

I think they want you to write the force on the middle link (from the upper link) in terms of the applied force F. What would that be?

Hello alphysicist, thank you for your response.
I figured since the first equation describes the chain which oncisist of the links i must break it down like you said, so:

m2*a2 = F/3 - m1*g

Is that correct? Thanks again

iluvphys said:
Hello alphysicist, thank you for your response.
I figured since the first equation describes the chain which oncisist of the links i must break it down like you said, so:

m2*a2 = F/3 - m1*g

I don't believe this equation is correct here.

In my last post I was saying that you already have found an expression for the force you are looking for (between block 1 and 2):

f = 2mg + 2 ma

and you already have an expression for the acceleration (that has the person's force F):

a = (F-3mg)/3m

Can you put those together and get rid of m and a?

I put those two equations together by replacing a with F-3mg/3m.
But what i get is mf=0.
So i am doing something wrong?
How else can i put these equations together?
Thanks for your help by the way-

iluvphys said:
I put those two equations together by replacing a with F-3mg/3m.
But what i get is mf=0.
So i am doing something wrong?
How else can i put these equations together?
Thanks for your help by the way-

My guess is you just have an algebra error somewhere.

The force you are looking for is:

[tex]
f = 2mg + 2 ma
[/tex]

and you said you plugged in your value for acceleration a which would turn this into:

[tex]
f = 2 mg + 2 m \left(\frac{F-3mg}{3m}\right)
[/tex]

So now simplify the right hand side. What do you get? I believe you should find that the masses cancel, but F (the external applied force on block 1) is still present. If you still do not get the answer, please post the steps you are taking.

My goodness I solved it. I couldn't do it before because I was bringing the equations to the left hand side as well that's why i got my odd solution.
Now thanks to your advice i get 2/3 F.
So the force applied on the middle link by the upper one is 2/3 F. Am i correct?

iluvphys said:
My goodness I solved it. I couldn't do it before because I was bringing the equations to the left hand side as well that's why i got my odd solution.
Now thanks to your advice i get 2/3 F.
So the force applied on the middle link by the upper one is 2/3 F. Am i correct?

That looks right to me. And does that make sense? If F is required to accelerate three blocks, (2/3)F is required to accelerate two blocks (because the force that m1 puts on m2 is responsible for "pulling" both m2 and m3).

Thank you very much. I "could" have solved it using my brain since your explanation is so simple and true, I mean not having to depend on equations.
Well, thank you very much!

Glad to help! And it's important to learn how to use the formalism, because you will certainly encounter complicated problems where your intuition might not be much help.

Related to Solve Newtons Laws Problem: Find Acceleration & Force

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered fundamental principles in the field of classical mechanics.

2. How do I find the acceleration in a problem using Newton's Laws?

To find the acceleration in a problem using Newton's Laws, you will need to first identify the forces acting on the object. Then, use the second law of motion, F=ma, to calculate the acceleration. This equation states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in Newton's Laws?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. Newton's Laws primarily deal with mass and acceleration, as weight can change depending on the gravitational pull of a particular location.

4. How do I find the force in a problem using Newton's Laws?

To find the force in a problem using Newton's Laws, you can use the first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, you can use this law to determine the force needed to accelerate an object to a specific velocity.

5. Can Newton's Laws be used to solve real-life problems?

Yes, Newton's Laws can be used to solve real-life problems. They are widely applicable and are used in a variety of fields such as engineering, physics, and even sports. By understanding and applying these laws, scientists and engineers are able to predict and explain the behavior of objects in motion.