Solve Net Ionic Equations: Chromium, Aluminium, Zinc

• Thread starter joejo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, Daniel is studying for the chemistry SAT and has a question that he is not sure that he has done right. Can someone please check his answer? Thanks in advance!
joejo
hi, I'm studying for the chemistry SAT and have a question that I'm not sure that I've done right...can someone please check my answer...thanks in advance!

Write a net ionic equation for the following:

a) Chromium dipped into silver nitrate
b) Aluminmum dropped into a bath of sulphuric acid
c) Zinc dipped into a solution of led (II) nitrate

answers:

a) Cr(s) + Ag+ (aq) --> Cr2+ (aq) + 2Ag (s)
b) d)Al3+ + H2SO4 --> Al2(So4)3 + H2
c) Zn2+ + Pb(NO3)2 --> Zn(NO3)2 + Pb2+

im not sure if I have to have the (s), (aq) etc...

can someone correct my answers if they are wrong...

thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
A looks right. You have state symbols missing from B and in an ionic equation the hydrogen ions are not changing so are not needed (I believe). C also has no symbols and again the lead is not really changing for an ionic equation.

The Bob (2004 ©)

my friend helped me get a...the answers for b and c are mine...I still don't get it...can you please show me?

someone please my test is on thursday i need to study! Thanks guys

[tex] 2\mbox{Al}_{(\mbox{s})}+6\mbox{H}^{+}_{(\mbox{aq})} \rightarrow 2\mbox{Al}^{3+}_{(\mbox{aq})}+3\mbox{H}_{2}\uparrow [/tex]

(sulphate ions are spectators)

[tex] \mbox{Zn}_{(\mbox{s})}+\mbox{Pb}^{2+}_{(\mbox{aq})}\rightarrow \mbox{Zn}^{2+}_{(\mbox{aq})} +\mbox{Pb}\downarrow [/tex]

(nitrate ions are spectators)

Daniel.

And the first one needs another 2.It should read

[tex] \mbox{Cr}_{(\mbox{s})}+2\mbox{Ag}^{+}_{(\mbox{aq})}\rightarrow \mbox{Cr}^{2+}_{(\mbox{aq})}+2\mbox{Ag}\downarrow [/tex]

(Nitrate ions are spectators)

Daniel.

b. aluminum into sulfuric acid
If I remember how to do these correctly:
[tex] 2Al + 3H_2SO_4 \rightarrow Al_2(SO_4)_3 + 3H_2 [/tex]

Break it down into its compounds:

[tex] 2Al + 3H_2^+ + 3SO_4^{2-} \rightarrow Al_2^{3+} + (SO_4)_3^{2-} + 3H_2 [/tex]

Look on both sides to see if anything is idle during the process. It looks like everythings reacting, even the hydrogens look like theyre doing something, since they go from [itex] H_2^+ \rightarrow H_2 [/itex].

I would go to http://www.towson.edu/~ladon/netionic.html for some more help.

edit: Sulfate is spectating as dex said, i didnt see the coefficient. Cros it out

The net charge in your equation,in the form written,doesn't add to zero in any of the 2 members,though it should...U have 6 protons from 3 sulphuric acid molecules...They're not 3 molecule-ion of Hydrogen...They have total charge "6+",and not "3+" as your notation would assume...

Daniel.

So in this case you would write H as a single atom and not a diatomic? theyre teaching us to always write the diatomics as diatomics. My notation is probably unorthodox but when I counted it it added up right.

[tex] 2Al + 3H_2^+ + 3SO_4^{2-} \rightarrow Al_2^{3+} + (SO_4)_3^{2-} + 3H_2 [/tex]

Left:
2Al = 0
3H_2 += +6
3SO_4 2- = -6

Right:
Al_2 3+= 6+
SO_4 _3 2- = 6-
H_2 = 0

That is not diatomic (in the LHS),it's simply 2 [itex] \mbox{H}^{+} [/itex] ions (protons) involved in a chemical bound (covalent,but here we're interested in ionic reactions,though the chemical bounds are not necessarily ionic) with 2 atoms of oxygen from the 4 involved in the sulphate ion...

Notation is essential only when it's wrong.

Daniel.

Ok I see where I went wrong, thanks. Learn from my mistakes joejo :)

no u've totally lost me whos right...whozum or dexter...

dexter your right, right??

>50% of the time,this one included :wink:

Daniel.

thanks guys...

i don't get u dexter...are you saying ur guessing?

dexters always right.
he has a phd in everything.

thank a lot guys

Related to Solve Net Ionic Equations: Chromium, Aluminium, Zinc

What are net ionic equations?

Net ionic equations are a way to represent the chemical reactions that occur between ionic compounds. They only show the species that are directly involved in the reaction, leaving out spectator ions that do not participate in the reaction.

How do you solve net ionic equations?

To solve net ionic equations, you first need to write out the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify the ionic compounds and break them down into their respective ions. Next, eliminate any spectator ions and write the remaining ions as the net ionic equation.

What is the role of chromium, aluminium, and zinc in net ionic equations?

Chromium, aluminium, and zinc are all transition metals that can form different ions with varying charges. They often participate in redox reactions, where they can lose or gain electrons to form different compounds. In net ionic equations, they are written as their respective ions and can either be reactants or products.

Why is it important to write net ionic equations?

Writing net ionic equations allows us to focus on the actual chemical reaction taking place and eliminates any unnecessary information. It also helps us understand the stoichiometry of the reaction and the role of each species in the reaction.

What are some common mistakes when solving net ionic equations?

Some common mistakes when solving net ionic equations include forgetting to balance the equation, not identifying the correct ionic compounds, and incorrectly eliminating spectator ions. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all equations are balanced and all species are correctly identified.