Solve My Train Dilemma: Can I Jump High Enough?

• B
  • Thread starter Einstein60
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of frames of reference in relation to Newton's law of motion. It is concluded that frames of reference are not tangible physical objects, but rather a coordinate system used to analyze motion. It is also noted that all objects are in all frames of reference at all times, and the choice of frame of reference is a free choice. The example of a bus in motion is used to illustrate this concept.
Einstein60
Assuming I'm in a train moving at a very high speed. According to Newton if I jump up, I must land at the same place. But what if I had the aptitude/ability to jump very very high, will I be moving in the air and land at the same place.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think up till when we are confined with in the train as a frame of reference this will apply but when we become free from the bounding of this frame of reference no longer we will be the Rule(bounding) of this frame will apply
So I think we will jump back at some places other then from which we previously jumped from

Zeeshan Ahmad said:
I think up till when we are confined with in the train as a frame of reference this will apply but when we become free from the bounding of this frame of reference no longer we will be the Rule(bounding) of this frame will apply
So I think we will jump back at some places other then from which we previously jumped from
Please I don't
Understand

Einstein60 said:
Assuming I'm in a train moving at a very high speed. According to Newton if I jump up, I must land at the same place. But what if I had the aptitude/ability to jump very very high, will I be moving in the air and land at the same place.
Why would you not land in the same place ?

Zeeshan Ahmad said:
This is not correct. A frame of reference is not a tangible physical thing. At the level of sophistication of first year physics, a frame of reference can be thought of as a coordinate system (*). It is something that you conjure up with a pencil and paper. Thus it can have no physical effects whatsoever.

For an object to be "in" a frame of reference only means that it has coordinates relative to that frame.

(*) More technically, a frame of reference in first year physics stops a bit short of being a full blown coordinate system. It only establishes a standard of rest. One can then pick an origin and lay down a coordinate system (Cartesian, polar or whatever) using that standard of rest.

Likes Dale
jbriggs444 said:
This is not correct. A frame of reference is not a tangible physical thing. At the level of sophistication of first year
Here frame of reference to my understanding is the object or thing to which comparative we are considering the motion
It is just only not a pancel drawing

Same in first year physics their is given the example of a bus which is moving we you present inside with one frame of reference we are in motion (surrounding of the bus) and other we are at rest (set or passenger in the bus)

Zeeshan Ahmad said:
Here frame of reference to my understanding is the object or thing to which comparative we are considering the motion
It is just only not a pancel drawing.
Not so. All objects are in all frames of reference at all times.

Which one we use is a free choice. We can make that choice after the fact, when we put pencil to paper and begin analyzing the scenario. In the case at hand, we can consider our man jumping on the train from a frame of reference anchored to the tracks, from a frame of reference anchored to the train or from a frame of reference anchored to a vulture circling overhead.

It is convenient to adopt a frame of reference anchored to the train since the intent of the question is that "in the same place" means "in the same place relative to the train".

Last edited:
Likes Ibix and vanhees71
Zeeshan Ahmad said:
Same in first year physics their is given the example of a bus which is moving we you present inside with one frame of reference we are in motion (surrounding of the bus) and other we are at rest (set or passenger in the bus)
This is often sloppily presented as "the people in the bus are in frame A and the people outside are in frame B", but that is wrong. The correct statements would be "the people in the bus are at rest in frame A and the people outside are moving in frame A", and "the people in the bus are moving in frame B and the people outside are at rest in frame B". As @jbriggs444 says, everything is in all frames and nobody is obligated to use their rest frame (for example, if you are on the bus you will ask "when do we arrive at my stop", tacitly adopting a frame where the bus is moving, and not "when does my stop arrive at the bus").

Likes vanhees71, jbriggs444 and Dale
Ok thank for guidance
Ibix said:
This is often sloppily presented as "the people in the bus are in frame A and the people outside are in frame B", but that is wrong. The correct statements would be "the people in the bus are at rest in frame A and the people outside are moving in frame A", and "the people in the bus are moving in frame B and the people outside are at rest in frame B". As @jbriggs444 says, everything is in all frames and nobody is obligated to use their rest frame (for example, if you are on the bus you will ask "when do we arrive at my stop", tacitly adopting a frame where the bus is moving, and not "when doe

Einstein60 said:
Inside the train, the atmosphere is moving with the train. You will return to the same place you jumped from if you stay inside the train. You remained inside the train FoR.

If you jump vertically out of the train, into the apparent headwind of the atmosphere, you will be accelerated backwards by atmospheric drag, and so land towards the back of the train.
You have three FoR, the train, the atmosphere, then the train again. You will fall over backwards when you land because you are traveling backwards relative to the faster train.

Baluncore said:
If you jump vertically out of the train, into the apparent headwind of the atmosphere, you will be accelerated backwards by atmospheric drag, and so land towards the back of the train.
You have three FoR, the train, the atmosphere, then the train again. You will fall over backwards when you land because you are traveling backwards relative to the faster train
Yes to the same context I have explained but the term (frame of reference) have taken the the discussion out of context

Likes 256bits

Related to Solve My Train Dilemma: Can I Jump High Enough?

1. How high do I need to jump to solve the train dilemma?

The height you need to jump depends on a variety of factors such as the speed of the train, the distance between the tracks, and your own physical abilities. It is important to carefully assess the situation and make an informed decision before attempting to jump.

2. Is it possible to jump high enough to clear a train?

Yes, it is possible to jump high enough to clear a train. However, it is a dangerous and potentially life-threatening action and should only be attempted in extreme situations.

3. What is the success rate of jumping over a train?

The success rate of jumping over a train is very low. Even if you are able to clear the train, there is still a risk of injury from the impact of landing or from falling onto the tracks.

4. Are there any other options besides jumping to solve the train dilemma?

Yes, there are other options to consider such as running in the opposite direction of the train, seeking help from bystanders, or contacting emergency services. It is important to assess all options and choose the safest course of action.

5. What precautions should I take before attempting to jump over a train?

Before attempting to jump over a train, it is important to carefully assess the situation and make sure there are no other options available. You should also make sure you have enough space to safely land on the other side of the tracks and that you are physically capable of jumping high enough. It is also crucial to be aware of any oncoming trains and to listen for any warning signals.