Solve Momentum & Impulse Homework: Diver Leaves Raft at 4 m/s

In summary, the initial momentum of the swimmer and raft combined is 0 kg*m/s, and after the swimmer dives off, the momentum of the raft is 300 kg*m/s. Therefore, the swimmer must have a momentum of -300 kg*m/s in order to conserve momentum. Using the equation for momentum, we can solve for the swimmer's velocity, which is 4 m/s.
jer_hall99

Homework Statement

18. A 75 kg swimmer dives horizontally off a 300 kg raft. If the speed of the raft immediately after the swimmer dives off is 1.0 m/s, at what speed did the diver leave the raft?

A. 2 m/s B. 4 m/s C. 6 m/s D. 8 m/s E. 10 m/s

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to use the equation to solve the problem. The only answer that I could find was 4 m/s and I did that by taking 300/75. Can somebody work it out step-by-step for me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
If swimmer and raft are initially at rest, what is the initial momentum of (swimmer + raft)?

Conservation of momentum in the x direction may help you. M1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

The ' symbol means prime. The equation represents momentum of two objects before the collision is the same as the momentum of two objects after

Related to Solve Momentum & Impulse Homework: Diver Leaves Raft at 4 m/s

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object. It is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time over which the force is applied.

How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In this example, the momentum of the diver leaving the raft would be equal to their mass multiplied by their speed of 4 m/s.

What is the relationship between impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are directly proportional to each other. This means that the change in an object's momentum is equal to the impulse applied to the object.

What is the final velocity of the raft when the diver leaves?

The final velocity of the raft can be calculated using the conservation of momentum principle. Since the diver's momentum will be transferred to the raft, the final momentum of the raft will be equal to the initial momentum of the diver. Therefore, the final velocity of the raft will be equal to the initial velocity of the diver (4 m/s).