Solve Max Mass for 3 Masses, 1 Pulley System

• Thread starter Elbhi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pully
In summary, Elbhi was trying to solve a problem where she assumed that the largest mass that block C could have was needed in order to keep blocks A and B from sliding. She found that when she separated the system into components, that the equation that she needed to solve was uK*(mA+mB)+uS*mB*g. When she combined like terms, she found that mC*g-uK*(mA+mB)g=uS(mA+mB)g+uK(mA+mB). When she solved for mC, she found that it was uK*(mA+mB)-us*mB.
Elbhi
I am having quite a time with this problem, I would appreciate any assistance.

Block B, of mass mB, rests on block A, of mass mA, which in turn is on a horizontal table top . The coefficient of kinetic friction between block A and the table top is uK and the coefficient of static friction between block A and block B is uS. A light string attached to block A passes over a frictionless, massless pulley and block C is suspended from the other end of the string.

The Q is… What is the largest mass mC that block C can have so that blocks A and B still slide together when the system is released from rest?

My assumption is we want acceleration to be at the maximum that keeps block B over A. The larger the mC, I am assuming the larger the a. (I don’t know how to express that thought mathematically, if it is right)

This is what I did.

A: T-uK*(mA+mB)=mA*a

B: fs=uS*mB*g=mB*a…..fs=uS*g=a

C: mC-T=mC*a

FA-FB=T , I plug eq.A into FA, eq.B into FB, and solve for T in eq.3 to isolate the mC.

My answer for mC, which I know is wrong was...uk*(mA+mB)-us*mB

I am so confused. I have been struggling with this problem all day. I separated into components numerous times. (I don’t think that’s where my problem lays)
Someone plx help me to understand why I don’t understand.

Thanks

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 524
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Elbhi,
I got Mc= Uk(Ma+Mb)+UsMb

If the above answer is right then here's my argument:
For Mc to be maximum,block A should offer max resistance.This would occur when max static friction force acts between Ma and Mb.(as Static friction >= kinetic friction)Max static friction force will come into play when the blocks A and B are just about to slip relative to each other(but are not slipping).

Last edited:
Hi, Elbhi.

I get mC = [(uS+uK)(mA+mB)]/(1-uS)

For B not to slide, max horizontal force forward is Fs=uS*mB*g=mB*a
So, the system acceleration cannot exceed the max acceleration for mB

a = uS*g

For the system

mC*g - uK(mA+mB)g = (mA+mB+mC)a = (mA+mB+mC)(uS*g)

rearrange, and collect like terms in mC

mC*g - uS*mC*g = uS(mA + mB)g + uK(mA + mB)g

common factor of g leaves

mC(1 - uS) = (uS + uK)(mA + mB)

and, finally

mC = [(uS+uK)(mA+mB)]/(1-uS)

Or, so it seems to me

Minstrel

Hello Rhia & Minstrel, thank you very much for your help both of you:). Rhia your answer was actually my first answer, however that wasnt right, which led to my fustration. Minstrel actually did it the right way. Thank you sooooooooooooooo much for helping me see the light. I thought it was immpossible, but through your reasoning it makes absolute sense.

Any tips for first year physics students?

Related to Solve Max Mass for 3 Masses, 1 Pulley System

1. What is the formula for solving maximum mass in a 3-mass, 1-pulley system?

The formula for solving maximum mass in a 3-mass, 1-pulley system is: Mmax = (m1 + m2 + m3) / 2, where m1, m2, and m3 are the masses of the three objects.

2. How do I determine the maximum mass in a 3-mass, 1-pulley system?

To determine the maximum mass, you need to find the point where the system is in equilibrium. This can be done by setting up equations of forces for each mass and solving for the unknown variables. Once you have all the forces balanced, the maximum mass will be the sum of the masses on either side of the pulley.

3. Can the maximum mass in a 3-mass, 1-pulley system be greater than the sum of all three masses?

No, the maximum mass in a 3-mass, 1-pulley system cannot be greater than the sum of all three masses. This is because the maximum mass is the point at which the system is in equilibrium, meaning all forces are balanced. If the maximum mass were greater than the sum of all three masses, there would be an unbalanced force and the system would not be in equilibrium.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the maximum mass in this system?

In a 3-mass, 1-pulley system, the number of pulleys does not affect the maximum mass. This is because the pulley acts as a simple machine, changing the direction of the force but not the amount of force. Therefore, the maximum mass will remain the same regardless of the number of pulleys.

5. Can I use this formula for systems with more than 3 masses?

No, this formula is specifically for a 3-mass, 1-pulley system and cannot be used for systems with more than 3 masses. In systems with more masses, the equations for forces and equilibrium will be more complex and require different formulas to solve for the maximum mass.