Solve Math Word Problems: 2 Examples & Help Appreciated

• Thread starter chopster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary: Additionally, use mathematical notation where possible, and include a statement of the assumptions you've made. In summary, the first problem asks you to find the tension in a cable when a force is applied to it. The solution uses the Pythagorean theorem and a ratio to find the length of the bar. The second problem asks you to find the reaction force at two points on a beam when a vertical load is applied. The solution uses the law of motion and Newton's Second Law of Motion to find the torque about a point.
chopster
I am totally lost!

:cry: I am taking this math class and we are now doing these statics problems and I have no clue what is going on, as I have never taken a physics class. I was hoping if someone could just explain on how I can put these two word problems into a equation because I have no problem with the math portion or it, I just have a hard time understanding word problems. Anyway if anyone can help me I will greatly be appreciated.

The first problem is,

A horizontal bar of negliglible weight hangs from two cables, one at each end. When a 624-N force is applied vertically downward from a point 185 cm from the left end of the bar, the right cable is seen to have a tension of 341 N. find the length of the bar.

One of the main problems is I have no clue what the N stands for or to even start, my book has one example and it is no where the same type of problem that it shows.

The second problem is,

A uniform horizontal beam is 19.80 ft long and weighs 1360 lb. It is supported at either end. A vertical load of 13,510 lb is applied to the beam 8.450 ft from the left end. Find the reaction at each end of the beam.

Again I don't what to do, I just need a explanation or if someone knows of a tutorial or sample problem to help me answer these two problems. Like I said I have no problem with the math portion it is extraction the word problem into an equation to solve the problem.

Any info will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks Chris :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
To begin, N is Newtons, a unit of force. For the first problem, find the tension in the left cable, then establish a ratio between the two, and use this same ratio for lengths to find the total length of the bar. I think this should work. The second problem should be solved in a similar manner.

Thanks for the reply Sirus, I believe I got the first one so I was wondering if you could check it out.

(341*x)/624=185

x=339

Now I just need to figure the second one out because I just don't get the finding for both side of the question!

Again I appreciate the reply, I just cannot wait until I am done with these word problems.

For your second problem:
You've got 2 unknowns; the reaction forces on each end.
Since the beam is in (static) equilibrium, Newton's 2.law of motion requires that the sum of external forces acting on the beam must equal 0.
You also need that the sum of torques (about a point) is 0 in order to have static equilibrium.
So, first steps:
Make a list of external forces acting on the beam, and where they act.
Choose a point to compute the torques about.

Okay I think I got it but I was wondering if someone could check it and see if it is right.

(1360 * 9.9) + (13510 * 8.45) = x * 19.8

x = 6445 lb

1360+13510=x+6445

x = 8425

Thanks again for all the help

chopster:
It is just about impossible to verify whether a bunch of numbers is correctly heaped together.
Please use clear labels on the quantities rather than their numerical values.

Related to Solve Math Word Problems: 2 Examples & Help Appreciated

1. What are the steps to solve a math word problem?

The first step to solving a math word problem is to carefully read the problem and identify the relevant information. Then, determine what the problem is asking you to find. Next, choose the appropriate mathematical operation to use based on the given information and what is being asked. Finally, solve the problem and check your answer to ensure it makes sense.

2. How do I know which mathematical operation to use in a word problem?

To determine which mathematical operation to use in a word problem, you must carefully read the problem and identify the given information and what is being asked. Addition is used when combining two or more quantities, subtraction is used when finding the difference between two quantities, multiplication is used when finding the total of repeated groups, and division is used when dividing a quantity into equal parts.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a math word problem?

If you get stuck on a math word problem, try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try using a visual aid, such as a diagram or chart, to better understand the problem. If you are still struggling, it can be helpful to ask a teacher or classmate for assistance.

4. How can I check my work when solving a math word problem?

To check your work when solving a math word problem, you can use the inverse operation, which is the opposite of the operation used to solve the problem. For example, if you used addition to solve the problem, you can check your answer by using subtraction. You can also plug your answer back into the original problem to see if it makes sense.

5. Are there any tips for solving math word problems more efficiently?

One tip for solving math word problems more efficiently is to underline or highlight key words or phrases in the problem that can help you determine which mathematical operation to use. Another tip is to create a table or chart to organize the information given in the problem. Additionally, practicing regularly and using a variety of strategies can also help improve your problem-solving skills.