Solve Math Problem: Add Red Marbles for 60% Red

• I
  • Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from a GRE book where a jar contains 10 red marbles and 30 green marbles and the goal is to add red marbles so that 60% of the marbles are red. The solution provided in the book is to add 35% more red marbles, but the person is trying to solve it using a different method. However, their answer is incorrect because they are not considering the change in proportions as the total number of marbles increases. Another person suggests using proportions to solve the problem and determines that 35 more red marbles need to be added to achieve a total of 75 marbles with 60% being red.
zak100
Hi,
I got the following problem from a GRE book. They have provided a method but i am trying to solve it using a different method. My answer is wrong.

Q.A jar contains 10 red marbles & 30 green ones. How many red marbles must be added to the jar so that 60% of the marbles will be red?Sol. Current percentage of red marbles is:

10/40 * 100 = 25%

This means we have to add 35% more red marbles:

x/(x+40) * 100 = 35

100x = 35x + 1400

65x = 1400

X= 22 (Answer is not correct).Some body please guide me what is my mistake.Zulfi.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ten red marbles, and 30 green marbles to start. This as a percent red marbles is 10/(10+30)=10/40=25/100=25%.

Question is, how many red marbles to add, r, so that the concentration of red marbles becomes 60%.
Adding the r number of red marbles will increase both the number of red marbles, AND the total number of marbles.
Now, would you use that to form a good equation, and solve it for r ?

Welcome to PF zak100!

Let x=no of red ones to be added

(X+10)/total = 60/100

Complete the expression for total in the denominator. And solve for x

AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply:

(X+10)/(X+40) = 6/10

X = 35Actually this solution is provided in the book. Right now the quantity of red balls is 10 which is 25%. I want to find out the remaining 35% of the red balls & then add that quantity with 10 (which is 25%) to find the whole 60% of red balls. How I can do it in that way.x/(x+40) * 100 =35x = 22

Total red balls = 22 + 10 = 32This is a wrong answer. Is it possible to do it in that way.Zulfi.

You just stated the correct equation. Solving it (the correct one, not the incorrect one) will give your "X" for how many red balls to add.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
How can we determine the remaining 35%?

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
I got the following problem from a GRE book. They have provided a method but i am trying to solve it using a different method. My answer is wrong.

Q.A jar contains 10 red marbles & 30 green ones. How many red marbles must be added to the jar so that 60% of the marbles will be red?Sol. Current percentage of red marbles is:

10/40 * 100 = 25%

This means we have to add 35% more red marbles:
This is your mistake. Percentages are always percents of some base. You cannot arithmetically combine percents of different bases.
Your "25%" is 25% of 10+ 30= 40 marbles. The "60%" that you get by adding marble is 60% of the larger number of marbles you now have after adding red marbles. Instead, let r be the number of red marbles you added. So you have 10+ r read marbles and 40+ r total marbles.

(Editted by Mentor)

From there you should be able to complete the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
zak100 said:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
How can we determine the remaining 35%?

Zulfi.
You can't just determine the remaining 35% because the proportions change as the total number of marbles changes. (x+10)/(x+40) always gives the proportion of red marbles. 30/(x+40) always gives you the proportion of green marbles. If the proportion of red is 60% the proportion of green is 40%. So the other approach would be to set the green proportion to 40%.

AM

Last edited:
We can also solve it using proportion,
Since after adding some red marbles green marbles will be ##40\%##

So, the total marbles will be-
Make the proportion,

##\dfrac{30}{x}=\dfrac{40}{100}##

##40x=3000##

##x=\dfrac{3000}{40}##

##x=75##

Hence, 30 green marbles out of 75 total marbles will be ##40\%## and 45 red marbles out of 75 total marbles will be ##60\%##

Since you have 10 red marbles so you need 35 more red marbles.

Related to Solve Math Problem: Add Red Marbles for 60% Red

1. How do I solve a math problem involving adding red marbles for 60% red?

The first step is to determine the total number of marbles you have. Let's say you have 100 marbles. Next, you need to find 60% of 100, which is 60. This means you need to have 60 red marbles. To solve for the number of red marbles you need to add, you simply subtract the number of red marbles you already have from 60. So if you have 20 red marbles, you need to add 40 more to reach 60% red.

2. How do I calculate the percentage of red marbles I need to add?

To calculate the percentage, you need to divide the number of red marbles you need to add by the total number of marbles. In this case, it would be 40 divided by 100, which equals 0.4 or 40%.

3. Can I use a formula to solve this math problem?

Yes, you can use the formula: (60% - percentage of red marbles you already have) x total number of marbles = number of red marbles you need to add. In this case, it would be (60% - 20%) x 100 = 40 red marbles to add.

4. What if I have a different number of marbles, do I use a different formula?

No, the formula stays the same no matter how many marbles you have. Just plug in the numbers accordingly. For example, if you have 200 marbles and 100 of them are red, the formula would be (60% - 50%) x 200 = 20 red marbles to add.

5. How do I know if I solved the math problem correctly?

You can check your answer by adding the number of red marbles you already have to the number of red marbles you need to add. The total should equal 60% of the total number of marbles. In this case, it would be 20 + 40 = 60, which is 60% of 100.