Solve Lost Equations: Bus + Student Acceleration

• Thread starter Technicolour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, a student is running to catch a bus, which is stopped at the bus stop. The bus starts to pull away and the student is still a distance away. When the student is still a distance away, the bus has a constant acceleration of 0.180. The student needs to make two equations for distance and set them equal to each other. One equation should be the distance from the student's starting spot, and the other should be the distance the student has traveled.
Technicolour

Homework Statement

A student is running at her top speed of 4.7 to catch a bus, which is stopped at the bus stop. When the student is still a distance 38.2 from the bus, it starts to pull away, moving with a constant acceleration of 0.180 .

Homework Equations

This is where I am stuck on I just need the relative equations and I will be able to give this a shot.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I know is that I will have to end up making two equations. One for the bus and one for the student then make the equal to each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
technicolour said:

Homework Statement

a student is running at her top speed of 4.7 to catch a bus, which is stopped at the bus stop. When the student is still a distance 38.2 from the bus, it starts to pull away, moving with a constant acceleration of 0.180 .

Homework Equations

this is where i am stuck on i just need the relative equations and i will be able to give this a shot.

The Attempt at a Solution

what i know is that i will have to end up making two equations. One for the bus and one for the student then make the equal to each other.
You need to make two equations for distance and set them equal to each other. One equation should be the distance from the student's starting spot, and the other should be the distance the student has traveled.
d = X(i) + 1/2 a t^2
d = v * t
v * t = x(i) + 1/2 a t^2
1/2 a t^2 - v * t + x(i) = 0

what are trying to find out?

Oh right I guess I forgot what I am trying to find. I need to find out when the student reaches the bus, how much has she ran, velocity of the bus when she catches it, min speed for her to catch it, what if her velocity was shorter and find all of the other things again.

Related to Solve Lost Equations: Bus + Student Acceleration

1. How do you solve for lost equations involving a bus and student acceleration?

In order to solve for lost equations involving a bus and student acceleration, you would need to gather all of the known variables and plug them into the appropriate formulas. This would typically involve using equations related to distance, time, and acceleration.

2. What types of information would be needed to solve a lost equation involving a bus and student acceleration?

The information needed would depend on what variables are unknown in the equation. Generally, you would need at least two known variables, such as the distance traveled, time elapsed, or acceleration, in order to solve the equation.

3. How is acceleration related to solving lost equations involving a bus and student acceleration?

Acceleration is a key factor in solving lost equations involving a bus and student acceleration because it relates to the change in speed over time. In order to solve a lost equation, you would need to use formulas that involve acceleration, such as the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. Can you use any equation to solve for lost equations involving a bus and student acceleration?

No, you cannot use any equation to solve for lost equations involving a bus and student acceleration. You would need to use equations that specifically relate to distance, time, and acceleration in order to accurately solve the equation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving lost equations involving a bus and student acceleration?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving lost equations involving a bus and student acceleration include using the wrong formula, not converting units correctly, and making errors in calculations. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct equations and units in order to get an accurate solution.