Solve Logarithm Problem: Exponential Form & Single Expression

• Thread starter math4life
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, the first part of the conversation discusses using the exponential form of the equation to solve for x in the equation Log2(2-5x)=7. The second part involves rewriting a logarithmic expression as a single expression using logarithm rules. The solution involves using the rule rlog_a(x)=log_a(x^r) and the fact that log_a(b)+log_a(c)=log_a(bc).
math4life

Homework Statement

1) Solve the equation using the exponential form of the equation.

Log2(2-5x)=7

2) Rewrite as a single logarithmic expression:

3log x +(1/2)log z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I have no idea how to solve this.

2) I know that two logarithms multiply to add, but these have different bases so I do not know what to do.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
math4life said:
Log2(2-5x)=7

Here is a hint.

[tex]a^b =c \Rightarrow b= log_a c[/tex]

math4life said:
2) Rewrite as a single logarithmic expression:

3log x +(1/2)log z

they are in the same base. Logx usually means log10x.

Use the rule

[tex]rlog_a x = log_a x^2[/tex]

I'll just fix up rock.freak667's little typo there.

What was meant to be said is: [tex]r.log_a(x)=log_a(x^r)[/tex]

Coupled with the rule that [tex]log_a(b)+log_a(c)=log_a(bc)[/tex]

You should have no problem solving the second one :smile:

I think it might be helpful to add that a logarithm can be thought of as the exponent on the base (the number raised to a power) that results in a particular number. So for example, log10100 means the exponent on 10 that results in 100. In other words, this logarithm is the answer to the question 10? = 100. Pretty clearly, the placeholder represented by ? is 2.

Every equation of the form logbx = y can be rewritten as an equivalent exponential equation by = x, and vice versa, with the only restrictions being that b > 0, and b[itex]\neq[/itex] 1, and x > 0.

Related to Solve Logarithm Problem: Exponential Form & Single Expression

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponential function. It is used to solve equations with exponential form, by finding the power or exponent that a base number must be raised to in order to get the given value.

2. How do I convert exponential form to logarithmic form?

To convert exponential form to logarithmic form, simply switch the positions of the base and the exponent. For example, the exponential form 5^2 = 25 can be written in logarithmic form as log5 25 = 2.

3. What is a single expression in logarithms?

A single expression in logarithms refers to an equation or inequality that contains only one logarithmic term. This means there is only one instance of a logarithm in the equation, and it is not being added, subtracted, multiplied, or divided by another logarithmic term.

4. How do I solve a logarithm problem with a single expression?

To solve a logarithm problem with a single expression, use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation and isolate the logarithm. Then, use the definition of logarithms to convert the logarithm into an exponential form, and solve for the variable.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithm problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithm problems include forgetting to use the properties of logarithms, not applying the order of operations correctly, and not checking for extraneous solutions. It is also important to remember to check your final answer by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it is correct.