Solve Link Budget: EIRP 100000 W, -75 dBm Receiver Sensitivity

In summary: Receiver sensitivity in dBm: -75 = 30 + 10LogSensitivity(dBm)In summary, a satellite in synchronous orbit outputs a 4 GHz signal with an EIRP of 100000 W. If the ground based receiver has a sensitivity of -75 dBm, what is the gain required of the receiving antenna? To receive the signal with a sensitivity of -75 dBm, the receiving antenna must have a gain of 41.2 dB.
ENGRstudent
I think I've done this right, but I'm looking for some reassurance because I often make stupid mistakes when converting from dB to watts and back again.

Thank you in advance! I'm about to graduate in 2 weeks, and this forum has been AWESOME throughout my college career. Kudos to everyone who takes the time to help out.

The problem statement reads:
"A satellite in synchronous orbit outputs a 4 GHz signal with an EIRP of 100000 W. If the ground based receiver has a sensitivity of -75 dBm, what is the gain required of the receiving antenna?"

My equations:
(P_receiver) = (EIRP) x (G_free space) x (G_receiving antenna)

(G_free space) = [λ/(4*pi*d)]^2

P_receiver = receiving antenna power
G_free space = free space gain
G_receiving antenna = receiving antenna gain
λ = c/f
d = 35,800,000 meters (height of orbit for geosynchronous satellite courtesy of Wiki)

Converting receiver sensitivity to Watts:

-75 dBm = 30 + 10 * log[(P_receiver)] ==> P_receiver = 3.16 x 10^-11 W

Solving for G_free space:

(G_free space) = [(3.0 x 10^8)/(4 x 10^9)]/[(4*pi*35,800,000)]^2
= 2.78 x 10^-20

Solving for G_receiving antenna:

(G_receiving antenna) = (P_receiver)/[(EIRP)*(G_free space)]
(G_receiving antenna) = (3.16 x 10^-11)/[(100000)(2.78 x 10^-20)]
= 11367
= 10 * log(11367) = 40.56 dB

So my final answer is 40.56 dB. Yes? No? Maybe?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
i get -128.5dBm without an antenna on the ground, thing is I'm stumped on how to calculate needed gain for the antenna.

so i just added the arrl antenna book to my wish list, hopefully this should be covered.

edit: shouldn't it be -75-(-128.5)=53.5dB of gain to meet the receiver minimum? :blushing:

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to look over the problem. Where did you get -128.5 from?

I just worked it again and found an error in my last step, and the new value I got for the gain is 40.56 dB.

I have attached my work as a PDF to make it more clear. Please review it to see where I may have made a mistake?

Thanks again!

EDIT: I made a mistake in my correction, 40.56 dB is still my final answer.

Attachments

• satellite problem.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
the equations are a little different in my book, they want a ratio for both antenna gains which i left at 1.

Pr=Pt*Gt*Gr*λ^2/16*pi^2*d^2

Don't know if its too late to answer this but here it goes. 1st convert everything to dB, adding and subtracting is way easier then multiplying and dividing. So 100000 Watts EIRP = 80 dBm. Free space loss of 4 GHz at 35,800 Km is 196.2 db. So 80 - 196.2 = -116.2 dbm. Your receiver needs -75 so you need a -75 - -116.2 = 41.2 dBi antenna. (dBi because transmit power was in EIRP)

Equations:
Free space loss in dB: P(dBm) = 32.43 + 20LogD(km) + 20LogF(MHz)
watts to dbm: dBm = (10 log (power watts)) + 30

Related to Solve Link Budget: EIRP 100000 W, -75 dBm Receiver Sensitivity

1. What is a link budget?

A link budget is a calculation that takes into account all the gains and losses in a communication system to determine the overall performance of the system. It is used to ensure that the transmitted signal is strong enough to be received and decoded by the receiver.

2. What is EIRP?

EIRP stands for Effective Isotropic Radiated Power and it is a measure of the power of a radio signal transmitted from an antenna in a specific direction. It takes into account the transmit power and the gain of the antenna to calculate the overall power of the signal in a specific direction.

3. How is receiver sensitivity measured?

Receiver sensitivity is measured in decibels (dBm) and it is the minimum power level that a receiver requires to accurately detect and decode a signal. The lower the dBm value, the more sensitive the receiver is to weak signals.

4. What is the relationship between EIRP and receiver sensitivity in a link budget?

In a link budget calculation, the EIRP is compared to the receiver sensitivity to determine if the transmitted signal is strong enough to be received and decoded by the receiver. If the EIRP is higher than the receiver sensitivity, the link budget is considered to be positive and the signal will be successfully received.

5. How can I improve the link budget in a communication system?

To improve the link budget, you can increase the transmit power, use a higher gain antenna, or decrease the distance between the transmitter and receiver. It is also important to minimize any losses in the system, such as cable losses or atmospheric attenuation. Using more advanced modulation techniques can also improve the link budget by allowing for more data to be transmitted in a given bandwidth.