What causes certain rock to be naturally magnetized?

• Thread starter syano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary: Thanks again, excellent explanation! Do you think that if I put a lodestone magnet on a piece of metal that is not magnetic, that it will cause the metal to become magnetic?Yes, the metal would become magnetic due to the magnetic field of the lodestone magnet.
syano
I am looking for an explanation on how bar magnets or lodestone works. After searching the internet I found many articles on magnetic fields, electricity causing magnetic fields, electromagnets, etc. But I wasn’t able to find an explanation on why lodestone naturally attracts other metals.

The science channel had an hour long show about magnetism but only thirty seconds of the show explained how natural magnets work. The show mentioned all electrons have a north and south polls and in most elements the electrons line up in such a way that they cancel out their magnetic properties. But in lodestone the electrons line up with all north poles in one direction and all south poles in another direction which causes a natural magnet.

I’m hoping some folks here could confirm and expand on this.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
syano said:
I am looking for an explanation on how bar magnets or lodestone works. After searching the internet I found many articles on magnetic fields, electricity causing magnetic fields, electromagnets, etc. But I wasn’t able to find an explanation on why lodestone naturally attracts other metals.

The science channel had an hour long show about magnetism but only thirty seconds of the show explained how natural magnets work. The show mentioned all electrons have a north and south polls and in most elements the electrons line up in such a way that they cancel out their magnetic properties. But in lodestone the electrons line up with all north poles in one direction and all south poles in another direction which causes a natural magnet.

I’m hoping some folks here could confirm and expand on this.

Thanks,

What you want to look for is a phenomenon called "ferromagnetism".

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/ferro.html

All of the ferromagnetic materials tend to have atoms that have an unpaired electron in the outer-most shell (typically from the d-shell). This causes these atoms to have a net magnetic moment, not simply due to the magnetic moment of the electron, but rather due to the orbital angular momentum of that unpaired electron. But this is only the first ingredient in making a ferromagnet.

The crystal structure of the material is also crucial. When the material is subjected to an external magnetic field (in nature, it is from the Earth's magnetic field - so in lodestone, this is a very slow process since the Earth's field is very weak), these small magnetic moments of the atom tend to allign themselves with the external field. The nature of the crystal arrangement for these material favors a configuration in which these allignment are "locked" in place even after you remove the external magnetic field. This is in contrast to paramagnetism in which the material also has all these atoms with individual magnetic moments, but they are oriented randomly and not locked in any direction until you apply an external field.

As you can guess, there are a lot more complex explanation of the physics of magnetism (which is in the field of condensed matter physics).

Zz.

Thank you ZapperZ, excellent explanation!

So if the outer most shell had an even number of electrons in it, would the electrons cancel each other’s magnetism effects out?

Do they actually “spin” or is that just the best way to describe them?

Thanks again,

syano said:
Thank you ZapperZ, excellent explanation!

So if the outer most shell had an even number of electrons in it, would the electrons cancel each other’s magnetism effects out?

Do they actually “spin” or is that just the best way to describe them?

Thanks again,

Remember that I earlier said that it doesn't just depend on the unpaired spin. It has more to do with the orbital angular momentum. If you have an unpaired spin, but this is the s-orbital, you do not have ferromagnetism. This is because this orbital is symmetric. You can only induce a dipole moment using very large fields.

Typically, the d-shell, due to the "lobes" of the orbital, are the ones that can create a large enough magnetic moment. If you look at all those elements that are ferromagnets, you'll find that they are in the "transition" element region of the periodic table, i.e. you're filling the d-orbital.

"spin" is a very loose term. Just think of it as something that produces a magnetic moment. Don't think of the object as spinning on its axis.

Zz.

1. What is the process that causes rocks to become naturally magnetized?

The process of rocks becoming naturally magnetized is called "thermoremanent magnetization." This occurs when hot lava or magma cools and solidifies, causing the magnetic minerals within the rock to align with the Earth's magnetic field.

2. What types of rocks are naturally magnetized?

Most commonly, igneous rocks such as basalt or granite are naturally magnetized. However, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks can also become magnetized if they contain enough magnetic minerals.

3. What are the main factors that determine the strength of natural magnetization in rocks?

The main factors that determine the strength of natural magnetization in rocks are the abundance and alignment of magnetic minerals, the intensity and direction of the Earth's magnetic field at the time of rock formation, and the temperature and cooling rate of the rock.

4. Can rocks lose their natural magnetization over time?

Yes, rocks can lose their natural magnetization over time due to several factors, such as changes in the Earth's magnetic field, exposure to high temperatures, or physical disturbances that can alter the alignment of magnetic minerals. This is known as "secondary magnetization."

5. How is the natural magnetization of rocks used in scientific research?

Natural magnetization in rocks is used in various scientific fields, such as geology, paleomagnetism, and archaeology. By studying the magnetic properties of rocks, scientists can determine the Earth's past magnetic field, track the movement of tectonic plates, and date the formation of rocks and geological features.