Solve Length of Solenoid Homework: Find N & L

In summary: Perhaps you could use one half of the cross-sectional area instead, and think about the value of the permeability of the material, and the units you are using for it.In summary, the self-inductance of a solenoid can be calculated using the formula L = μ0*A*l*n2, where μ0 is the permeability of the material, A is the cross-sectional area, l is the length, and n is the number of turns per unit length. Using this formula, the length of the solenoid can be calculated to be approximately 52.24 meters. However, using half of the cross-sectional area and considering the value of permeability may result in a more practical solution.
yaro99

Homework Statement

(a) What would have to be the self-inductance of a solenoid for it to store 9.3 J of energy when a 1.56-A current runs throught it?

(b) If this solenoid's cross-sectional diameter is 3.85 cm, and if you could wrap its coils to a density of 10 coils/mm, how long would the solenoid be?

Homework Equations

l=D*N
D=π*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a, I am only having trouble with part b.
The problem is, I only have the diameter, but I don't have N, the number of coils.

Here's how I tried to get N:

coils/m = 10/1*10^-3 = 10000 coils/m

then,
N = (10000 coils/m) * (0.0385 m) = 385 coils

then,
l = pi*(0.0385 m) * 385 coils = 46.57m

Physics news on Phys.org
N = (10000 coils/m) * (0.0385 m) = 385 coils
0.0385m is the diameter - are there 10000coils per meter across the diameter?! Usually the coils are across the length aren't they?

You are close:
If n=#turns per unit length, and N is the number of turns in the solenoid, and L is the length of the solenoid, then n=N/L

You have a formula for the inductance in terms of the L and N don't you?
So use some algebra to express it in terms of n and L.

Simon Bridge said:
0.0385m is the diameter - are there 10000coils per meter across the diameter?! Usually the coils are across the length aren't they?

You are close:
If n=#turns per unit length, and N is the number of turns in the solenoid, and L is the length of the solenoid, then n=N/L

I got 7.643H for the inductance from part a

So if n=N/L, then N=n*L:
N = (10/(1*10^-3)) * 7.643 = 76430 turns

then,
l = pi*0.0385 * 76430 = 9244 m

It this correct?

N = (10/(1*10^-3)) * 7.643 = 76430 turns
... um... no: not what I wrote.
me said:
Hmmm... L was not a good choice for a variable-name for length was it?
You pick one.

Simon Bridge said:

You are close:

Actually I don't. I couldn't find one in my book, but searching online I believe I found it:
L = μ0*A*l*n2

rearranging it gives:
l = L/(μ0*A*n2)

So,
l = (7.643)/([4*π*10^-7]*[π*(0.0385/2)2]*100002) = 52.24m

Is this right?

Actually I don't. I couldn't find one in my book, but searching online I believe I found it:
... hmmm, it's usually the first thing they do right after the Biot-Savart law. As in these utex lecture notes eq.909.
"Self Inductance" doesn't mean much without it.

Oh well...
You got the formula in the end.

Code:
> 7.643/((4*pi*10^-7)*(pi*(0.0385/2)^2) *(10000^2))
ans =  52.245

... which is rather long so probably impractical.

Related to Solve Length of Solenoid Homework: Find N & L

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is commonly used in electromagnets, transformers, and other devices.

How do you calculate the length of a solenoid?

The formula for calculating the length of a solenoid is L = (μ0 * N^2 * A) / (2 * μr), where L is the length, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid, and μr is the relative permeability of the material in the solenoid.

What is the significance of finding N & L in a solenoid?

Finding N & L in a solenoid is important because it helps determine the strength of the magnetic field produced by the solenoid. This information is crucial in designing and understanding the functioning of devices that use solenoids.

What are the units for N & L in the calculation?

The units for N are turns, and the units for L are meters. It is important to use consistent units in the calculation to ensure accurate results.

Can you provide an example of solving for N & L in a solenoid?

Yes, for example, if a solenoid has 500 turns, a cross-sectional area of 0.1 m^2, and is made of iron with a relative permeability of 200, the calculation would be: L = (4π * 10^-7 * 500^2 * 0.1) / (2 * 200) = 0.0025 meters or 2.5 millimeters.