Solve Length Contraction Homework: Find v

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of a spaceship moving past at a given length. By using the formula L=L1sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), the person attempted to find v but was having trouble due to only having one attempt left. It is then suggested to solve for v/c by substituting x and solving for it in the equation L = L1sqrt(1-x^2). The final solution is given as x=sqrt(1-(L/L1)^2), which should lead to the correct answer.
sklotz

Homework Statement

A spaceship moves past you at speed v. You measure the ship to be 300 m long, whereas an astronaut on the ship measures a length of 356 m. Find v.

Homework Equations

L=L1sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried this by using the above formula. I plugged in 300 for L and 356 for L1 and I have tried it the other way as well where I plug in 300 for L1 and 356 for L. The answer is in terms of c. I only have one try left and don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for v in terms of c, which means that you are trying to find v/c. So, let x = v/c and write your equation as L = L1sqrt(1-x^2). Show us some of the details of how you would solve this for x.

L/L1=sqrt(1-x^2)
(L/L1)^2=1-x^2
1-(L/L1)^2=x^2
x=sqrt(1-(L/L1)^2)

Good. That should you get you the correct answer.

I would suggest checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct units for velocity (m/s) and the speed of light (m/s). Also, make sure you are using the correct formula for length contraction, which is L=L0sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), where L0 is the rest length of the object. In this case, the rest length would be 356 m, not 300 m. Once you have the correct formula and values plugged in, you should be able to solve for v. If you are still having trouble, I would suggest seeking help from a tutor or your instructor for further clarification.

Related to Solve Length Contraction Homework: Find v

What is length contraction and why is it important to understand?

Length contraction is a phenomenon where an object appears to be shorter in the direction of its motion, as observed by an outside observer. It is important to understand because it is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity and has significant implications in physics and engineering.

How is length contraction related to the speed of an object?

Length contraction is directly proportional to the speed of an object. As an object's speed increases, its length in the direction of motion decreases. This relationship is described by the Lorentz factor, which is a function of the object's speed.

What is the equation for calculating length contraction?

The equation for calculating length contraction is L = L0 * √(1 - v²/c²), where L is the observed length, L0 is the rest length, v is the speed of the object, and c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

How can I use length contraction to solve homework problems?

To solve a homework problem involving length contraction, you will need to know the rest length of the object, its speed, and the speed of light. You can then plug these values into the length contraction equation and solve for the observed length.

What are some real-world examples of length contraction?

Some real-world examples of length contraction include the length of a moving train as observed by a stationary observer, the length of a spaceship as observed by a person on Earth, and the length of a particle accelerator as observed by a scientist. These examples demonstrate how an object's length can appear to change depending on the observer's frame of reference and the object's speed.