Solve Kinematics Problem: y = y0 + Vot + 1/2gt²

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating when two objects, a ball and a rock, will reach the same height. The equations used are y = y0 + Vot + 1/2gt² and -12.t - 0.5*9.8*t² = 18*(t-1) - 0.5*9.81*(t-1)², and the solution is found to be t = 1.45 and y = 7.43. The conversation also discusses the reasoning behind choosing positive or negative signs for values in a coordinate system, specifically in relation to acceleration and velocity. It is mentioned that in this problem, the initial velocity and gravitational acceleration have opposite signs,
James_22

Homework Statement

upload_2016-2-16_19-44-18.png

Homework Equations

y = y0 + Vot + 1/2gt²

The Attempt at a Solution

We have to know when yball = y rock
for the ball : t = t-1 because it's throwed 1 sec later the rock.
we have to fine when yball = yrock :

12.t - 0.5*9.8*t² = 18*(t-1) - 0.5*9.81*(t-1)²..I find the answer with this equation.. t = 1.45 y=7.43
but my first equation was : -12.t - 0.5*9.8*t² = 18*(t-1) - 0.5*9.81*(t-1)²
I put the sign (-) before 12t because I thought when acceleration and velocity have the same direction they have the same sign but when I do that, I don't find the good answer. If someone can explain me that..
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The signs associated with values depends upon your choice of coordinate system.

Generally you choose your coordinate system before assigning signs to things accordingly. In this case if you chose your coordinates so that upwards is positive, then an upward velocity is positive. Gravitational acceleration is always downwards, so that's why it gets the negative sign.

James_22 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 95959

Homework Equations

y = y0 + Vot + 1/2gt²

The Attempt at a Solution

We have to know when yball = y rock
for the ball : t = t-1 because it's throwed 1 sec later the rock.
we have to fine when yball = yrock :

12.t - 0.5*9.8*t² = 18*(t-1) - 0.5*9.81*(t-1)²..I find the answer with this equation.. t = 1.45 y=7.43
I put the sign (-) before 12t because I thought when acceleration and velocity have the same direction they have the same sign but when I do that, I don't find the good answer. If someone can explain me that..
Thank you
When you throw something upward, its initial velocity is going to be reduced by the gravitational attraction of the Earth on it, so the velocity term and the acceleration term will have opposite signs. After the object has reached its highest point above the ground and starts to fall back to earth, its velocity is increased by the same gravitational attraction, so the velocity term and the acceleration term will have the same sign.

James_22 said:
I put the sign (-) before 12t because I thought when acceleration and velocity have the same direction they have the same sign
Ok, but what made you think they have the same direction here?

Related to Solve Kinematics Problem: y = y0 + Vot + 1/2gt²

What is kinematics and why is it important?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the movement of objects without considering the forces that cause the movement. It is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the motion of objects, which is essential in many fields such as engineering, astronomy, and sports.

What does the equation "y = y0 + Vot + 1/2gt²" represent?

This equation represents the vertical displacement (y) of an object at a given time (t) due to its initial position (y0), initial velocity (Vo), and the acceleration due to gravity (g).

How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived from the kinematic equations for constant acceleration, where the average velocity (Vavg) is equal to the initial velocity (Vo) plus half the acceleration (1/2gt) times the time (t). By substituting this into the equation for displacement (y = y0 + Vavg t), we get the final equation of y = y0 + Vot + 1/2gt².

What units should be used in this equation?

The units for displacement (y) and initial position (y0) should be in meters (m), the units for velocity (Vo) and acceleration (g) should be in meters per second (m/s), and the units for time (t) should be in seconds (s). It is important to use consistent units to ensure accurate calculations.

Can this equation be used for any type of motion?

This equation can be used for any motion where the acceleration is constant, such as free fall or projectile motion. However, it cannot be used for non-constant acceleration, such as circular motion. In those cases, other kinematic equations must be used.