Solve Kinematics Problem: Find x(t) for Chain on Frictionless Table

In summary, the problem involves a chain of length h meters, with c meters hanging down from a frictionless table. The chain is released from rest at time t=0. The goal is to find the equation of motion, x(t), for the chain. To do so, Newton's second law is applied, considering only forces parallel to the direction of motion. Accounting for the changing mass of the hanging chain, the resulting second order differential equation is x'' - xg/h = 0. However, in a sequel to the problem, friction on the table is introduced, leading to a modified equation of x'' - umg(h-x)/h = 0.
naggy
A chain, total length h meters long, is sitting on a table. C meters hang down from the table. The chain is let go from rest at time t=0 . The table is frictionless. Find the equation of motion, x(t)

Hint: Second order differential equations that can be reduced to cosh if x is defined posative downward.

I need a jump start I guess. No masses are given or anything...

I can write a DE if there is air resistance.

a + kv = g ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I should add the part of the chain that is on the table is straight, not curled up.

MY ATTEMPT

The part on the table is of length h-c and the part hanging down from the table is c. I'm just can´t think of what to use to find the differential equation. Maybe there is air drag?

If I would write a force equation then it would be mg = ma because the table is frictionless?

naggy said:
I should add the part of the chain that is on the table is straight, not curled up.
That does make a difference--the entire chain moves at a single speed.
The part on the table is of length h-c and the part hanging down from the table is c. I'm just can´t think of what to use to find the differential equation. Maybe there is air drag?
Forget air drag (that just adds complexity).
If I would write a force equation then it would be mg = ma because the table is frictionless?
Yes, something along those lines: Apply Newton's 2nd law.

Applying Newtons second law is sort of the problem. I can´t see how I'm supposed to treat the chain as one mass.

Can I think if it as two blocks attached together with a string? There's no friction on the table so the force on the chain on the table( tension in the string) will just be equal to mcg, where mc is the mass of the part of the chain hanging from the table.

What other forces are there?

I then have mcg - T =mca

but mc changes as more part of the chain drags from the table right?

Last edited:
naggy said:
What other forces are there?
All you care about are forces parallel to the direction of motion, so that's the only force you need. (The weight of the chain on the table is balanced by the normal force.)
I then have mcg - T =mca
Forget about tension--that's an internal force and thus cancels out. (You want the net force on the chain.)
but mc changes as more part of the chain drags from the table right?
Of course. Write it as a function of x, where x is the amount of chain hanging off the table.

what about mx/h where m/h is mass per unit length?

[tex]\frac{mxg}{h}[/tex] = ma

that leads to x'' -xg/h = 0 a second order DE

Last edited:
naggy said:
what about mx/h where m/h is mass per unit length?

[tex]\frac{mxg}{h}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{m}{h}[/tex][tex]a[/tex]
Good, but correct that right hand side.

Doc Al said:
Good, but correct that right hand side.

already did I think it's just ma not ma/h

Good. Now all you need to do is solve the DE.

Doc Al said:
Good. Now all you need to do is solve the DE.

There's a sequel to this problem. Now there is friction on the table

Could I write the frictional force as umgx/(h-c)?

u=frictional coefficient

No wait. It must be

[tex]\frac{umg(h-c-x)}{(h-c)}[/tex]

naggy said:
No wait. It must be

[tex]\frac{umg(h-x)}{h}[/tex]

this should be correct

That latest version looks good to me.

Related to Solve Kinematics Problem: Find x(t) for Chain on Frictionless Table

1. What is kinematics and how does it relate to this problem?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. In this problem, we are using kinematics to find the position of the chain on a frictionless table over time.

2. What information do I need to solve this kinematics problem?

To solve this problem, you will need the initial position and velocity of the chain, as well as any known accelerations or forces acting on the chain. You will also need the equations of motion, such as the kinematic equations, to manipulate and solve for the position over time.

3. Can I use any kinematic equation to solve this problem?

No, you cannot use any kinematic equation to solve this problem. You must use the correct equation that relates to the specific situation and given information. For example, if the chain is accelerating, you would use the equation x(t) = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2.

4. What assumptions are being made in this problem?

In this problem, we are assuming that the table is frictionless, meaning there is no resistance to the movement of the chain. We are also assuming that the chain is a point mass, meaning it has no size or shape, and that the chain is not affected by any external forces, such as wind or gravity.

5. Can I solve this problem using calculus?

Yes, this problem can be solved using calculus. The position, velocity, and acceleration of an object are related by the derivative and integral equations. These equations can be used to find the position of the chain at any point in time, given the initial conditions and any known forces or accelerations.