Solve Kinematics Problem: 3x Max Height, Find Angle

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the angle if the reach is three times the maximum height, using trigonometry formulas. The final equation is 3sinθ/2 = 2cosθ, and the solution is to plug it into a calculator and calculate arctan(4/3). The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of understanding and gratitude.
Johnny Blade
What is the angle if the reach is three (3) times the maximum height.

I put both of the reach and max height formula together to isolate theta

[tex]p=\frac{V_{0}^{2}sin(2\theta)}{-g}[/tex] and [tex]h_{max}=\frac{V_{0}^{2}sin^{2}\theta}{-2g}[/tex]

At the end it gave me this:

[tex]\frac{3sin\theta}{2}=2cos\theta[/tex]

Am I getting rusty on my trigonometry? How would you solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Johnny Blade said:
What is the angle if the reach is three (3) times the maximum height.

I put both of the reach and max height formula together to isolate theta

[tex]p=\frac{V_{0}^{2}sin(2\theta)}{-g}[/tex] and [tex]h_{max}=\frac{V_{0}^{2}sin^{2}\theta}{-2g}[/tex]

At the end it gave me this:

[tex]\frac{3sin\theta}{2}=2cos\theta[/tex]

Am I getting rusty on my trigonometry? How would you solve this?
your solution was right, all u have to do then is to plug it into your calculator and calculate arctan4/3

I see it. Thank you very much.

Related to Solve Kinematics Problem: 3x Max Height, Find Angle

What is a kinematics problem?

A kinematics problem involves analyzing the motion of an object without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves understanding concepts such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

How do you solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you need to identify the given information, determine the unknowns, and choose the appropriate kinematics equations to use. Then, plug in the known values and solve for the unknown.

What is the significance of finding the maximum height in a kinematics problem?

Finding the maximum height in a kinematics problem can help determine the overall trajectory and shape of the object's motion. It can also be used to calculate the object's initial velocity or acceleration, depending on the given information.

What does the angle represent in a kinematics problem?

The angle represents the direction of the object's motion. In a 3x max height problem, the angle would indicate the angle at which the object is launched or thrown.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a kinematics problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a kinematics problem include using incorrect units, not considering the direction of motion, and not double-checking your calculations. It's also important to make sure the given information is complete and accurate before attempting to solve the problem.