Solve Invertible Skew Symmetric Matrix: Hints & Tips

In summary, a matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero and skew symmetric if its transpose is equal to the negative of itself. Elementary row operations can be used to solve an invertible skew symmetric matrix by transforming it into its reduced row echelon form. The Cholesky decomposition method can also be used to solve these matrices by finding the square root of the matrix. Common mistakes to avoid include remembering that multiplying a row or column by a constant will not change the determinant, and being careful with the Cholesky method as it only works for matrices with positive determinants. In real-world applications, invertible skew symmetric matrices are commonly used in physics, engineering, computer graphics, and image processing for modeling and solving systems with symmet
Gavroy
I am asking for some hints to solve this excercise. Given an invertible skew symmetric matrix $A$, then show that there are invertible matrices $ R, R^T$ such that $R^T A R = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & Id \\ -Id & 0 \end{pmatrix}$, meaning that this is a block matrix that has the identity matrix in two of the four blocks and the lower one with a negative sign.

I am completely stuck!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anyone have a simple method for this? :smile:

Related to Solve Invertible Skew Symmetric Matrix: Hints & Tips

1. How do I know if a matrix is invertible and skew symmetric?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero, and it is skew symmetric if its transpose is equal to the negative of itself.

2. Can I solve an invertible skew symmetric matrix using elementary row operations?

Yes, you can use elementary row operations to transform the matrix into its reduced row echelon form, which will show whether it is invertible and skew symmetric.

3. Is there a specific method or algorithm for solving invertible skew symmetric matrices?

Yes, you can use the Cholesky decomposition method to solve these types of matrices. This involves finding the square root of the matrix and using it to solve for the original matrix.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an invertible skew symmetric matrix?

It is important to remember that multiplying a row or column by a constant in elementary row operations will not change the determinant of the matrix. Also, be careful when using the Cholesky decomposition method as it only works for matrices with positive determinants.

5. Are there any real-world applications for invertible skew symmetric matrices?

Yes, these types of matrices are commonly used in physics and engineering for modeling and solving systems with symmetries. They are also used in computer graphics and image processing.