Solve Inequality x+3^x<4 | Logical & Analytic Ways

• Thread starter Karim Habashy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving the inequality x+3x<4. The participants suggest using trial and error, the Lambert W function, and calculus to find the solution. They also discuss the possibility of using a proof by contradiction and the idea that the function is monotonically increasing. Ultimately, it is concluded that trial and error is the most effective method for solving the inequality.
Karim Habashy
Hi all,

I was trying to solve the Inequality x+3x<4 and i found the solution to be x<1, using trial and error.
Is there another Logical way or analytic one.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no analytic solution to finding the zeroes of the equation x+3x-4, hence there is no solution other than by numerical or observational means to solve yours (unless you're willing to use the Lambert W function). What you can do however is to prove that x<1 is the only possibility. What if there are other values of x > 1 that work? Can you prove there aren't?

Ya, strengthening my answer by contradiction is a good idea (i.e what happens if x>1).
I will also have a look at Lambert W Function.

Thanks

Sorry about the late response, I guess I missed this thread in my alerts.

Just to be clear, proving that the equation cannot hold for x>1 is NOT a proof by contradiction. You can't automatically assume that if x>1 does not satisfy the inequality, then x<1 must satisfy it. It doesn't work that way.

I'd suggest calculus for showing that there are no values x>1 that satisfy the equation.

You could simply observe that x+3^x=4 at x=1, and argue that since x+3^x has a positive gradient everywhere, all x which satisfy x<1 must satisfy x+3^x<4

How do i use calculus ?, the function is monotonically increasing.

By stating that the function is monotonically increasing, you have used Calculus. And the fact that it is monotonically increasing leads to Homogeneous Cow's point, that there can only be one point where f(x)= 4.

Trial and error is the way to go, unless you want to put the log product function into play.

Related to Solve Inequality x+3^x<4 | Logical & Analytic Ways

1. How do you solve an inequality involving exponents?

To solve an inequality involving exponents, you can use logical and analytic techniques. First, isolate the variable by moving all other terms to the opposite side of the inequality. Then, use logarithms to simplify the equation and solve for the variable. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.

2. What are the steps for solving an inequality with multiple terms?

The steps for solving an inequality with multiple terms are similar to solving a regular equation. First, combine like terms on each side of the inequality. Then, use inverse operations to isolate the variable. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.

3. Can an inequality have more than one solution?

Yes, an inequality can have more than one solution. Unlike an equation, which has a single solution, an inequality represents a range of values that satisfy the given conditions. Therefore, there can be multiple values that make the inequality true.

4. How do you graph an inequality with exponents?

To graph an inequality with exponents, you can first rewrite it in exponential form. Then, plot the points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a curve or line, depending on the type of inequality. Remember to use a dashed line for strict inequalities and a solid line for non-strict inequalities.

5. What is the difference between solving an inequality and graphing an inequality?

Solving an inequality involves finding the specific values of the variable that make the inequality true. Graphing an inequality, on the other hand, involves representing the solutions on a coordinate plane to visualize the range of values that satisfy the inequality. Solving an inequality gives you a numerical answer, while graphing an inequality gives you a visual representation of the solution set.