Fourier Analysis of Angular Momentum Operator

In summary, the Fourier transform pairs for real space and momentum space can be used for Fourier Analysis of a wavefunction. However, for angular momentum, the appropriate transform pair takes the form of a sum rather than an integral due to the discrete nature of angular momentum. This can be seen in the basis vectors for the function space of angular position, which only has a period dividing 2π. By including the boundary condition, the energy can be quantized in l-space, making the spectrum discrete. This is similar to Bohr's Correspondence Principle, where in the limit of large L, the system behaves like it is nearly continuous.
eNtRopY
Okay, if I want to do a Fourier Analysis of a wavefunction, I can use the following transform pairs for real space and momentum space.

Ψ(x) = (2π hbar)^(-1/2) * ∫ dp Φ(p) exp(ipx/hbar)

Φ(p) = (2π hbar)^(-1/2) * ∫ dx Ψ(x) exp(-ipx/hbar)

So, what I want to know is what is the appropriate transform pair for angular momentum.

Let's say that our real space wavefunction is expressed in terms of cylindrical coordinates, and we are only concerned with the angular term Ψ(θ).

Do we want to transform this into angular momentum space? Is this expression correct?

Ψ(θ) = (2π hbar)^(-1/2) * ∫ dL Φ(L) exp(iLθ/hbar)

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
eNtRopY, I'm no expert, but I remember dimly that angular momentum is always quantized, so I'd expect a sum rather than an integral.

Originally posted by arcnets
eNtRopY, I'm no expert, but I remember dimly that angular momentum is always quantized, so I'd expect a sum rather than an integral.

But it is only quantized because of the imposed boundary condition:

Ψ(θ=0) = Ψ(θ=2π).

Actually, that's part of what I'm trying to figure out... can we make the math tell us the integral is a sum... from momentum space?

eNtRopY

Maybe the clue is in what you call &phi(L) - angular momentum eigenstates, aren't they?

(I can't make the 'phi' show up...sorry)

Last edited:
I think you need to step into the "why" of Fourier theory.

The reason the Fourier transform works is that the set of functions

{fω(t) = eiωt | ω real}

is an orthogonal basis of the function space. Because we have a single continuous real parameter, the Fourier transform takes the form of an integral over that parameter.

For angular position, we're not working with the entire space of functions; only those with a period dividing 2π. The basis for this space is only those basis vectors above that have a period dividing 2π, i.e.:

{fn(t) = e2πit/n | n a nonzero integer} U {f(t) = 1}

Here, the parameter is discrete, so the transform takes the form of a sum over n. (which is just an integeral with a different metric)

Well, to be more precise, the transform in one direction will be integrated over [0..2π] and the transform in the other direction will be a sum

Last edited:
Okay, here's what I have so far... For a 1-D ring of radius r0, we know the Schrödinger equation looks like this:

d2/dθ2 Ψ(θ) + ((2 m r02 E)/hbar2) * Ψ(θ) = 0.

Now, since I know the solution a priori, it's not a problem for me to assume the following transform pair:

Ψ(θ) = (2πhbar)-1/2 ∫ dl Φ(l) exp(ilθ)

and

Φ(l) = (2πhbar)-1/2 ∫ dθ Ψ(θ) exp(-ilθ).

So, I can use Fourier transforms to convert the differential equation to:

-l2Φ(l) + ((2 m r02 E)/hbar2) * Φ(l) = 0.

We can then easily solve for l:

l2 = ((2 m r02 E)/hbar2).

This is exactly what we wanted, but the energy is not quantized at this point because we haven't included the boundary condition.

E = (hbar2 l2)/(2 m r02)

We can clear up this problem by using the boundary condition we were given (the one in real space):

Ψ(0) = Ψ(2π).

However, I feel like there must be a way to convert the boundary condition to l-space.

Thanks.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
In central force problems

which includes all conservative systems, and the hydrogen atom in particular, you can separate the wavefunction into radial and angular parts, and the angular part always has a discrete spectrum. There is no way to make the spectrum continuous. However in the limit of large L the system behaves like it is nearly continuous, and that, you may recall, was the basis of Bohr's Corresponence Principle.

Last edited:

1. What is the Fourier Analysis of Angular Momentum Operator?

The Fourier Analysis of Angular Momentum Operator is a mathematical technique used to decompose a function into its constituent frequencies. It is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where it is used to analyze the angular momentum of a particle.

2. How is the Angular Momentum Operator defined?

The Angular Momentum Operator is a mathematical operator that represents the angular momentum of a particle in quantum mechanics. It is defined as a combination of the position and momentum operators, and its eigenvalues correspond to the possible values of the angular momentum of a particle.

3. What is the physical significance of the Fourier Analysis of Angular Momentum Operator?

The Fourier Analysis of Angular Momentum Operator is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles with angular momentum. It helps us to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state, and to predict how a particle will behave in a given system.

4. How is the Fourier Analysis of Angular Momentum Operator used in real-world applications?

The Fourier Analysis of Angular Momentum Operator has many practical applications, such as in nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopy. It is also used in the study of molecular structure and in the design of quantum computing algorithms.

5. What are some key properties of the Angular Momentum Operator?

The Angular Momentum Operator has several important properties, including the fact that it is Hermitian (its eigenvalues are real numbers), it commutes with the Hamiltonian operator (which represents the total energy of a system), and it satisfies the angular momentum commutation relations. It also has discrete eigenvalues, which correspond to the quantization of angular momentum in quantum mechanics.