Solve Ideal Gas Problem: Net Work of Cycle

In summary, the net work for the given cycle is approximately -550. There may be some rounding errors, but the calculation for the individual work terms are correct. The mistake in the calculation of the second isothermal expansion has been corrected, resulting in a negative value instead of a positive one.
daisyi
Okay, I've been working on this for a while:

Three-tenths mole of an ideal gas at 400K is expanded isothermally from a pressure of 5x10^5 N/m^2 to 1.5x10^5N/m^2. If the gas is then heated to 500K at constant volume and then is compressed isothermally back to 5x10^5 N/m^2, and then isobarically back to the original condition, find the net work of the cycle.

I understand the whole concept of expanding and contracting, but combining the ways that these happen is very confusing to me.

first i found the volume for the first part using the formula V = nRT/P.
so for the first part, when its expanded isothermally i used the formula:
w = nRTln(V2/V1)
w= (3/10)*(8.314)*(400)*ln(6.65*10^-3/2*10^-3)
= 1198.68

same for the second isothermic expansion, except the temperature changed to 500, and therefrore the volume changed and:

w = -1503.58

then for the third part, i used the formula for isobaric gas:

w = P(V2 - V1)
= 245

Then for the net work, I added everything together, and got -364.8

What am I missing here??

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a set temprtature and pressure, the volume is
also determined for an equal amount of gas. So, if at the
end you get the original condition - all of the same parameters,
what kind of energy difference = work, are you looking for ?

it just says find the net work. I stated the problem exactly as it is written. Grr...this one is driving me nuts!

daisyi said:
first i found the volume for the first part using the formula V = nRT/P.
so for the first part, when its expanded isothermally i used the formula:
w = nRTln(V2/V1)
w= (3/10)*(8.314)*(400)*ln(6.65*10^-3/2*10^-3)
= 1198.68
Looks good. (You are defining work as work done by the gas on the environment. So + work means that energy is leaving the gas. That's OK. Just be aware that some define work as work done on the gas.)

same for the second isothermic expansion, except the temperature changed to 500, and therefrore the volume changed and:

w = -1503.58
Take a second look at this one. I suspect you are using the wrong final volume.

daisyi - if you add up all your work terms again, you'll see it will not give you -365. The calculation for all the individual work terms are correct, except for some rounding errors. When I did the calcuations I get: 1201.18 - 1501.47 + 249.42 = -50.87 or -50 after rounding.

one more thing...

I never got to this step in my previous post:
daisyi said:
then for the third part, i used the formula for isobaric gas:

w = P(V2 - V1)
= 245
It's an isobaric compression: the work will be negative.

And yes, as PureEnergy points out, you did add your terms incorrectly. But that's not the real problem. :smile:

Take a second look at this one. I suspect you are using the wrong final volume.

I double checked and it still looks right to me. This is how I did it.

V = nRT/P

so, when the gas is heated to 500k with constant volume, the volume is:

V1 = (3/10)(8.314)(500)/1.5x10^5
= 8.314x10^-3

and then when the pressure is compressed back to 5x10^5:

V2= (3/10)(8.314)(500)/5*10^5
= 2.49x10^3

I then plugged that into the equation w = nRTln(v2/v1) to get the 1198.68

daisyi said:
I double checked and it still looks right to me. This is how I did it.

V = nRT/P
Right.

so, when the gas is heated to 500k with constant volume, the volume is:

V1 = (3/10)(8.314)(500)/1.5x10^5
= 8.314x10^-3
No. V1 = (3/10)(8.314)(400)/1.5x10^5 (You know the temp and pressure before it's heated.)

and then when the pressure is compressed back to 5x10^5:

V2= (3/10)(8.314)(500)/5*10^5
= 2.49x10^3
Right.

Doc's right, the third step should be negative so the net work is around -550.

Related to Solve Ideal Gas Problem: Net Work of Cycle

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It can be written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant, and T is temperature.

What is a thermodynamic cycle?

A thermodynamic cycle is a sequence of thermodynamic processes that can be used to convert heat into work or vice versa. It involves a system going through a series of changes and returning to its original state. Examples of thermodynamic cycles include the Carnot cycle and the Brayton cycle.

How do you solve an ideal gas problem?

To solve an ideal gas problem, you first need to identify the variables given in the problem, such as pressure, volume, and temperature. You then use the ideal gas law to find the unknown variable. If the problem involves a thermodynamic cycle, you may need to use other equations, such as the first law of thermodynamics, to calculate the net work of the cycle.

What is the net work of a thermodynamic cycle?

The net work of a thermodynamic cycle is the total amount of work done by the system during a complete cycle. It can be calculated by summing up the work done during each individual process in the cycle. In an ideal gas problem, the net work can be found by calculating the area under the curve on a PV diagram.

What are some common applications of solving ideal gas problems?

Solving ideal gas problems is important in many fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. Some common applications include understanding the behavior of gases in industrial processes, designing efficient engines and turbines, and predicting the properties of gases at different conditions. It is also used in atmospheric science to study the behavior of gases in Earth's atmosphere.