Solve Ideal Gas Law Problem: V2 and P2 for Ar and N2 mixture at 400 K

In summary, a rigid tank contains .5 kmol of Ar and 2kmol of N2 at 250 kPa and 280 K. The mixture is now heated to 400 K. Determine the volume of the tank and the final pressure of the mixture.
Jacob87411
1. A rigid tank contains .5 kmol of Ar and 2kmol of N2 at 250 kPa and 280 K. The mixture is now heated to 400 K. Determine the volume of the tank and the final pressure of the mixture.

2. PV=NRT

Can you find the initial volume by using PV=NRT?

V=NRT/P
V=(2.5)(8.314)(280)/250=23.2 m^3

Now I am confused how I used this to find V2 and P2, is there another relation between pressure and volume that I don't have? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
find partial pressures (mole fraction of each gas x total pressure) and add them up to get total pressure.
Volume is tank is constant

f(x) said:
find partial pressures (mole fraction of each gas x total pressure) and add them up to get total pressure.
Volume is tank is constant

If you are going to do it that way be sure and compute a 'partial volume' for each gas as well. But why bother? Both pressures go up by the same fraction. Why split them?

V1=V2=23.2 m^3 or you mean the volume of the tank is constant because I thought the 23.2 was thevolume of the gas not the tank

In your solution to computing the volume of the gas, you set N=2.5 kmol. So you treated the two gasses as one big volume of ideal gas. There is no need to split them into species. A mix of ideal gasses is itself an ideal gas.

Yes but I am still confused. How do you use the mole ratio to find the pressure after heating it up

No mole ratios necessary. As Dick said, just assume you have 2.5 kmol of one ideal gas, this is N. Using this value for N, you can find the volume of the container (watch your units though!). Now plug this volume into the ideal gas law, along with the new temperature, to determine the new pressure.

Dick said:
If you are going to do it that way be sure and compute a 'partial volume' for each gas as well. But why bother? Both pressures go up by the same fraction. Why split them?

partial volume ?? what i meant was to use dalton's law of partial pressures...which states total pressure is sum of partial pressures of each gas taken separately (but volume remains constant)

initially we have v=nRT/p (calculate with initial conditions)

now that u know the volume(it remains const as the container is rigid)
calculate the partial pressures of each gas for t=400 K and add them up to get the total pressure (P2)
ie. p(Ar)=moles of Ar*R*T / V
p(N2)=moles of N2*R*T / V
p2=p(Ar)+p(N2)

The thing is, since names of gases are explicitly mentioned while nothing about their ideal behaviour is mentioned, i wonder if its correct to use ideal gas eqn.
Check what answer you get with the above else we shall have to use any real gas eqn like vanderwaals eqn.

I see what you are saying. That IS the more correct way to state the solution. Thought since the poster had combined the gasses for the first problem, he may as well continue. But I think your presentation is much better. That is, in fact, probably why the two gasses were named - to make you mention partial pressures (not for a nonideality problem). Sorry to muddy the waters.

Jacob87411 said:
V1=V2=23.2 m^3 or you mean the volume of the tank is constant because I thought the 23.2 was thevolume of the gas not the tank
Jacob: Can the gas occupy a different volume than the tank? Look up the different definitions of 'gas' .

Yes, V1=V2.

f(x): You have used the ideal gas equation in your last post, so you too have assumed both gases are ideal (that seems a reasonable assumption to make, especially given the choices of gases in the question). There is no need to deal with partial pressures.

Last edited:
umm...yeah the scope of the question seems limited to ideal gas eqn at the moment. o:)
oh, lol and sorry for the partial pressures...like Dick said b4...it doesn't make a difference if they are ideal gases

Related to Solve Ideal Gas Law Problem: V2 and P2 for Ar and N2 mixture at 400 K

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

2. How is the ideal gas law used in problem-solving?

The ideal gas law can be used to solve for any of the four variables (pressure, volume, temperature, and amount) if the other three are known. This allows scientists to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions and to calculate important properties such as density and molar mass.

3. What are the units of measurement for the variables in the ideal gas law?

The pressure, volume, and temperature must be in consistent units for the ideal gas law to work. Pressure is typically measured in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), and temperature in Kelvin (K). The gas constant (R) has a value of 0.0821 L·atm/mol·K, which allows for the calculation of the amount of gas (n) in moles.

4. What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept that assumes the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other. In reality, gas particles do have volume and they can interact through intermolecular forces. Therefore, the ideal gas law is most accurate at low pressures and high temperatures, where the behavior of real gases is more similar to that of ideal gases.

5. How can the ideal gas law be applied to real-world situations?

The ideal gas law has many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of gases in chemical reactions, to design and operate systems such as refrigerators and engines, and to understand the properties of Earth's atmosphere. It is also used in everyday life, such as in weather forecasting and the production of consumer products like aerosol cans.