Solve Homework: Springs & Pendulums

• Thread starter moonlit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary, for the first problem, a 0.55-kg block is hung from a spring attached to the ceiling. A second block is attached, causing the spring to stretch three times its original length. The mass of the second block can be found by using Hooke's Law and solving for m2. For the second problem, a simple pendulum with a 0.655-m-long string is pulled to the side and released. The time it takes for the pendulum to reach its greatest speed can be calculated using the formula T = 2pi * sqrt(l/g), and the answer to the question is t = T/4.
moonlit
I have two homework problems that I'm really stuck on. Can someone please help me out? Thanks!

1) A 0.55-kg block is hung from and stretches a spring that is attached to the ceiling. A second block is attached to the first one, and the amount that the spring stretches from its unstretched length triples. What is the mass of the second block?

2) A simple pendulum is made from a 0.655-m-long string and a small ball attached to its free end. The ball is pulled to one side through a small angle and then released from rest. After the ball is released, how much time elapses before it attains its greatest speed?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What do you know about Hooke's Law? For the first part, m1g = k(x-xo), meaning the weight is balanced by the spring force. For the second part, m2g = k(3(x-xo)), reflecting the tripled spring extension. Since it's the same spring, the value of k does not change. Solve for m2.

2. The pendulum has its greatest speed at its lowest point (when all of the gravitational potential energy is converted to kinetic energy). You should know a formula that relates the period of oscillation to the length of the pendulum. Use this to calculate the period, then realize that the pendulum reaches the bottom of its trajectory at t = T/4.

I still can't get an answer for the first one. I was told to try using a formula like this:

g(m+mx)=-K3x
g(m+mx)=3(-kx)
g(m+mx)=3mg
m+mx=3m
mx=?

But I keep coming up with 7.1 kg which sounds way off. Ughh what am I doing wrong?!

Originally posted by moonlit
I still can't get an answer for the first one. I was told to try using a formula like this:

g(m+mx)=-K3x
g(m+mx)=3(-kx)
g(m+mx)=3mg
m+mx=3m
mx=?

But I keep coming up with 7.1 kg which sounds way off. Ughh what am I doing wrong?!

What you've written out is fine, assuming mx is a variable meaning the added mass. When you solve that last line, don't you come up with mx = 2m? Just plug in m = .55 kg and that's all there is to it. (mx = 1.1 kg)

Ok, I understand the first problem but I'm not so sure about the second one. I used the formula:

w= sqrt g/L
w=2pi/T
T=2piw

I keep getting the answer .52 but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong on this one too. Ughhhhh!

It may have been a typo, but you should have:

[itex] T = \frac{2\pi}{\omega} = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}} [/itex]

Just plug in the right numbers to find T, then remember that the answer to the question is t = T/4.

Ok, thanks! I got the correct answer of 0.41 seconds! :)

Related to Solve Homework: Springs & Pendulums

1. How do springs and pendulums work?

Both springs and pendulums work based on the principle of restoring force. This means that when a spring or pendulum is displaced from its equilibrium position, it experiences a force that tries to bring it back to its original position. For springs, this force is called spring force, while for pendulums, it is called gravitational force.

2. What factors affect the behavior of springs and pendulums?

The behavior of springs and pendulums is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object attached to them, the length of the pendulum or the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude of the oscillation. These factors can affect the period, frequency, and amplitude of the oscillation.

3. How is the period of a spring or pendulum calculated?

The period of a spring or pendulum is the time it takes for one complete oscillation. The period of a spring can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant. The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How is Hooke's law related to springs and pendulums?

Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. This means that the stiffer the spring, the greater the force it will exert for a given displacement. This law also applies to pendulums, as the gravitational force acting on the pendulum bob is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position.

5. How are springs and pendulums used in real-world applications?

Springs and pendulums have many practical applications in our daily lives. Springs are used in various devices, such as shock absorbers, mattresses, and trampolines. Pendulums are used in clocks to keep accurate time and in seismometers to measure seismic activity. They are also used in amusement park rides and as an energy source in some power plants.