Solve Homework Questions on Point Sources & Mirrors

In summary, the conversation covers topics such as light intensity, point source lamps, illuminance, mirror height, and concave mirrors. The equations used include focal length, the relationship between focal length and distance of object and image, and magnification. The solutions to the given problems were found by substituting values into the relevant equations and taking into account necessary adjustments, such as negative signs for upright images.
Andy111

Homework Statement

1) A 24 cd point source lamp and a 73 cd point source lamp cast equal illuminances on a wall. If the 24 cd lamp is 6.3m from the wall, how far from the wall is the 73 cd lamp? Answer in units of m.

2) Two lamps illuminate a screen equally. The first lamp has an intensity of 100 cd and is 6.7m from the screen. The second lamp is 7.7 m from the screen. What is the intensity of the second lamp? Answer in units of cd.

3) Determine the minimum height of a vertical flat mirror in which a person 67 in. in height can see his full image. Answer in units of in. (Hint: draw a ray diagram)

4)A concave mirror has a focal length of 24.8cm. Determin the object position for which the resulting image is upright and 4 times the size of the object. Answer in units of cm.

Homework Equations

Focal length= [tex]\frac{Radius}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{focal length}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{distance of object}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{distance of image}[/tex]

magnification = [tex]\frac{-distance of image}{distance of object}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{height of image}{height of object}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher told us we wouldn't need to know the equations for light intensity, so I have no idea how to solve 1&2.

3) I drew the ray diagram like it said and found the area of mirror needed to see the image. But obviously it's not to scale, and I doubt I could measure it and scale it well enough to get an accurate answer, because the system we use to turn in homework likes exact answers that are at most +/-1% off.

4)I tried using this [tex]\frac{1}{focal length}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{1}{distance of object}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{distance of image}[/tex]

I knew that the distance of the image was 4 times the size of the object so i substituted distance of image with 4(distance of object). Crunching the numbers I got 31, which doesn't make sense because if the object is outside the focal point of a concave mirror, then the image will appear smaller, not larger. I think I messed up because it says the size is 4 times larger, which probably means height, not distance. But, I'm not sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the equations for 1&2, so I don't need help with those anymore.

Andy111 said:

Homework Statement

1) A 24 cd point source lamp and a 73 cd point source lamp cast equal illuminances on a wall. If the 24 cd lamp is 6.3m from the wall, how far from the wall is the 73 cd lamp? Answer in units of m.

2) Two lamps illuminate a screen equally. The first lamp has an intensity of 100 cd and is 6.7m from the screen. The second lamp is 7.7 m from the screen. What is the intensity of the second lamp? Answer in units of cd.

3) Determine the minimum height of a vertical flat mirror in which a person 67 in. in height can see his full image. Answer in units of in. (Hint: draw a ray diagram)

4)A concave mirror has a focal length of 24.8cm. Determin the object position for which the resulting image is upright and 4 times the size of the object. Answer in units of cm.

Homework Equations

Focal length= [tex]\frac{Radius}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{focal length}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{distance of object}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{distance of image}[/tex]

magnification = [tex]\frac{-distance of image}{distance of object}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{height of image}{height of object}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher told us we wouldn't need to know the equations for light intensity, so I have no idea how to solve 1&2.

3) I drew the ray diagram like it said and found the area of mirror needed to see the image. But obviously it's not to scale, and I doubt I could measure it and scale it well enough to get an accurate answer, because the system we use to turn in homework likes exact answers that are at most +/-1% off.

4)I tried using this [tex]\frac{1}{focal length}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{1}{distance of object}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{distance of image}[/tex]

I knew that the distance of the image was 4 times the size of the object so i substituted distance of image with 4(distance of object). Crunching the numbers I got 31, which doesn't make sense because if the object is outside the focal point of a concave mirror, then the image will appear smaller, not larger. I think I messed up because it says the size is 4 times larger, which probably means height, not distance. But, I'm not sure what to do.

4. The magnification is related to heights and distances by:

[tex]
M = \frac{h_i}{h_o}= \frac{-q}{p}
[/tex]

where p is the object distance and q is the image distance. So here when you substitute you will have a minus sign (since the image is upright).

Thankyou so much. I got 18.6 substituting with -4 instead of 4, which was correct. I also got the 3rd question right. So I don't need any more help now.

Related to Solve Homework Questions on Point Sources & Mirrors

1. What is a point source?

A point source is a location where light or other forms of energy emanate from a single point in all directions.

2. How do point sources relate to mirrors?

Point sources are important in the study of mirrors because they can be used to determine the properties of mirrors, such as focal length and image formation.

3. What is the difference between a virtual and a real point source?

A virtual point source is an imaginary point from which rays of light appear to diverge, while a real point source is an actual point from which light is emitted.

4. How do mirrors affect the behavior of point sources?

Mirrors can reflect light from point sources, causing the light rays to change direction and form an image.

5. What are some practical applications of point sources and mirrors?

Point sources and mirrors are used in various devices such as telescopes, microscopes, and cameras to focus and manipulate light for better image formation and magnification.