Solve Hermitian Operators: Prove Int. w/ Wavefuncs

In summary, the homework statement is that if omega is an hermitian operator, and \varphi and \psi are (acceptable) wavefunctions, then then the result must be real.
T-7

Homework Statement

Show that if [tex]\Omega[/tex] is an hermitian operator, and [tex]\varphi[/tex] and [tex]\psi[/tex] are (acceptable) wavefunctions, then then

[tex]\int \phi^{*} \Omega \psi dz = \int \psi (\Omega \phi)^{*} dz[/tex]

Homework Equations

Consider the wave function [tex]\Psi = \phi + \lambda\psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In my solution, I eventually arrive at

[tex]\int \Psi^{*} \Omega \Psi dz = \int \phi^{*} \Omega \phi dz + \lambda\lambda^{*}\int \psi^{*} \Omega \psi dz + \lambda\int \psi^{*} \Omega \phi + \lambda^{*}\int \phi^{*} \Omega \psi [/tex]

The first two terms on the right, I conclude, are real. (I deduce this because they are both essentially expectation measurements on their respective functions; if the functions are legitimate wave functions, and if the operator is Hermitian, then the result must be real). Likewise for the term on the left, which is a superposition of these two wavefunctions.

This leaves the last two terms. I'm guessing the next step is to compare real and imaginary parts of both sides -- which implies these two are also real, since there isn't anything imaginary on the left.

Now the answer would drop out nicely if I equated the conjugate of the fourth term on the right with the third term on the right, but I'm not totally clear on how that step would be justified (I presume this is the thing to do, though). Could someone make the logic of that move very explicit for me. (I'm probably just being obtuse).

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
which implies these two are also real, since there isn't anything imaginary on the left.
No; it implies their sum is real.

Could someone make the logic of that move very explicit for me. (I'm probably just being obtuse).
[tex]
\left(\int f(x) + i g(x) \, dx\right)^* =
\left( \left( \int f(x) \, dx \right) + i \left(\int g(x) \, dx \right) \right)^* = \ldots[/tex]

You could also do it by looking at Riemann sums.

Last edited:
If [itex] \Omega \subset \Omega^{\dagger} [/itex], then [itex] \forall \psi\in D_{\Omega} \ , \ \Omega\psi=\Omega^{\dagger} \psi[/itex]. Now consider the abstract expression [itex] \langle\phi,\Omega\psi\rangle [/itex] for some [itex] \phi,\psi\in D_{\Omega} [/itex]. Translate it into [itex]L^{2}\left(\mathbb{R},dx\right) [/itex] language. Then translate the folowing formula associated with the definition of the adjoint: if the adjoint exists, then [itex] \forall\phi\in D_{\Omega^{\dagger}}, \forall \psi\in D_{\Omega} ,\langle \phi, \Omega\psi\rangle =\langle \Omega^{\dagger}\phi, \psi\rangle [/itex] also in the same language. Then use the hermiticity of the operator and you're there.

Using bra-ket notation,

[tex]\int \phi^{*} \Omega \psi dz = \int \psi (\Omega \phi)^{*} dz[/tex]

Since omega is hermitian, then omega=omega^(dagger)
<phi|omega|psi>=<phi|omega^(dagger)|psi>=<omega phi|psi>

Thanks very much folks. :smile:

Related to Solve Hermitian Operators: Prove Int. w/ Wavefuncs

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical operator that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, the operator is equal to its complex conjugate when its transpose is taken.

2. How do you solve for Hermitian operators?

To solve for Hermitian operators, you must first find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator. Then, you can use the eigenvalues and eigenvectors to construct the operator's matrix representation, which can then be tested for Hermitian properties.

3. What is the importance of Hermitian operators in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators are important in quantum mechanics because they represent physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. The eigenvalues of these operators correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement, and the eigenvectors represent the states of the system.

4. How do you prove the orthogonality of wavefunctions using Hermitian operators?

To prove the orthogonality of wavefunctions using Hermitian operators, you must use the inner product between two wavefunctions and show that it is equal to zero. This can be done by using the Hermitian properties of the operator and the fact that the eigenfunctions of a Hermitian operator are orthogonal.

5. Can any operator be represented as a Hermitian operator?

No, not all operators can be represented as Hermitian operators. For an operator to be Hermitian, it must satisfy certain mathematical properties and conditions. Operators that do not satisfy these conditions cannot be represented as Hermitian operators.