Solve Heat Transfer Problem: Fire in Propylene Plant

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a heat transfer problem related to a fire in a propylene plant. The total heat of the fire, amount of fuel, and duration of the fire are known, and the person wants to calculate the damage done to the pipe at the start of the fire. They are using the fin approach to determine the temperature distribution along the pipe and are looking for assistance in calculating the length of the pipe that reaches the annealing temperature. Suggestions are given to break down the problem into smaller parts, determine thermal properties, and consult with an expert or use computer modeling.
fujifilm6502002
Hi I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I am trying to solve a heat transfer problem.

There was a fire in a propylene plant and the metal piping was damage in the fire. I know that the total heat of the fire is about 2371 btu/ft^3. And the total amount of fuel in the plant is 700,000 lbs. The fire burned for 14 days. With that know I want to calculate the damage done to the pipe at the start of the fire. Assuming its like a fin problem where the start of the fire is at a flame temperature(3600F) and the end is at (1500F) which is the temperature for carbon steel to anneal. The ambient temperature outside is (1370F). I was wondering if I can calculate how long is the pipe from 3600F to 1500F ? I have been taking the fin approach to calculate for the temperature distribution and fin heat transfer rate. But I have been getting answers too small to make sense.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for reaching out with your question. It sounds like you are working on a challenging heat transfer problem related to a fire in a propylene plant. I would recommend starting by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. First, determine the thermal properties of the metal piping and the ambient temperature outside. Next, calculate the heat transfer rate from the fire to the pipe using the known total heat of the fire and the duration of the fire. From there, you can use the fin approach to calculate the temperature distribution along the pipe and determine the length of the pipe that reaches the annealing temperature of 1500F. It may also be helpful to consult with a heat transfer expert or use computer modeling software to assist with your calculations. Best of luck in solving this problem.

Related to Solve Heat Transfer Problem: Fire in Propylene Plant

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important in solving a fire in a propylene plant problem?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another. It is important in solving a fire in a propylene plant problem because it helps determine how the fire spreads and how to control or extinguish it.

2. What factors affect heat transfer in a fire?

The factors that affect heat transfer in a fire include the type of fuel, the amount of fuel, the presence of oxygen, the temperature of the fire, the surrounding environment, and the geometry of the plant.

3. How can heat transfer be calculated in a fire in a propylene plant?

Heat transfer in a fire can be calculated using equations such as the heat transfer coefficient, thermal conductivity, and convective heat transfer coefficient. These calculations take into account the factors that affect heat transfer mentioned earlier.

4. What measures can be taken to prevent or control heat transfer in a fire in a propylene plant?

To prevent or control heat transfer in a fire in a propylene plant, it is important to have proper fire safety measures in place, such as installing fire detection and suppression systems, implementing fire prevention protocols, and having trained personnel to respond to fires. Additionally, the design and layout of the plant should be optimized to minimize the potential for fires to spread.

5. How can simulations and models be used to solve a heat transfer problem in a fire?

Simulations and models can be used to predict the behavior of a fire and its heat transfer. This can help identify potential hazards and inform the design of fire protection systems in a propylene plant. It can also be used to test different scenarios and determine the most effective strategies for controlling or extinguishing the fire.