Solve Geometry Q w/ L and c: Find R in Terms of L and c

In summary: What is the significance of L?In summary, the problem involves finding R in terms of L and c, where c is the arc-length of half an ellipse and L is a variable. The solution involves using the equations a=R⋅sin(c) and L=R⋅cos(c), and equating them to find R. However, if c is not treated as an angle, then alternative methods must be used. Additionally, if c is not a part of a circle as originally assumed, but instead a part of an ellipse, then the problem must be restated with more precise information.
madgorillaz15

Homework Statement

In the attached drawing, find R in terms of L and c. Also, at the bottom of the picture I wrote something wrong. I said c, which equals 0.5, is the arc-length of each semi-circle, but I really meant to say each quarter circle. My bad. I'm not given a number for L so that can just remain a variable.

Can anyone see the solution? I'd appreciate any help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to take advantage of c somehow, but I wasn't able to figure it out. Obviously, R=(a^2 + L^2)^(1/2), so I just need to figure out a in terms of L and c (or something else)?

Attachments

• IMG_9069.jpeg
    IMG_9069.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 517
Physics news on Phys.org
From your figure a=R⋅sin(c) and L=R⋅cos(c). Then...

Likes madgorillaz15
First,

a / R = sin (c) => a = R sin (c) --- (i)

Next,

R^2 = a^2 + L^2 => a = (R^2-L^2)^1/2 ---(ii)

Equating (i) and (ii) gives: R sin (c) = (R^2-L^2)^1/2 => R = L / cos(c)

Likes madgorillaz15
Svein said:
From your figure a=R⋅sin(c) and L=R⋅cos(c). Then...

Can I ask, are you treating c like an angle? Also, after speaking to a friend, I was mistaken in assuming that those arcs belonged to quarter circles. In fact, they belong to an ellipse (so the entire big arc you see is actually half an ellipse). How does that change your answer?
Thanks though.

titasB said:
First,

a / R = sin (c) => a = R sin (c) --- (i)

Next,

R^2 = a^2 + L^2 => a = (R^2-L^2)^1/2 ---(ii)

Equating (i) and (ii) gives: R sin (c) = (R^2-L^2)^1/2 => R = L / cos(c)

Hi titasB,
I apologize, but as in my other reply, does this answer change if the big arc is actually half an ellipse, and not have a circle as I first assumed?

madgorillaz15 said:
Can I ask, are you treating c like an angle?
Yes. If not, we need to find some other way. If it is part of a circle (as you mentioned in your original post), then the angle is c/R. Then you get a slightly more complicated expression. From the note on your figure, c=0.5, so the angle is 0.5/R. Inserting this, you get L=R⋅cos(0.5/R) - which is fine for finding L, but complicated for finding R. On the other hand, tg(0.5/R) = a/L - which gives 0.5/R = arctg(a/L).

Likes madgorillaz15
Svein said:
Yes. If not, we need to find some other way. If it is part of a circle (as you mentioned in your original post), then the angle is c/R. Then you get a slightly more complicated expression. From the note on your figure, c=0.5, so the angle is 0.5/R. Inserting this, you get L=R⋅cos(0.5/R) - which is fine for finding L, but complicated for finding R. On the other hand, tg(0.5/R) = a/L - which gives 0.5/R = arctg(a/L).

Yeah, I just checked and we aren't allowed to treat it like an angle. Furthermore, I was mistaken in saying that c was a part of a circle-it's actually an ellipse. How does that change the answer?

madgorillaz15 said:
I was mistaken in saying that c was a part of a circle-it's actually an ellipse. How does that change the answer?
Well, you will have to state your problem again, this time more precisely. What are the known parts and what are you supposed to determine? What do you know about the ellipse? What is the significance of R (an ellipse has two radii)?

Related to Solve Geometry Q w/ L and c: Find R in Terms of L and c

1. How do I solve for R in terms of L and c?

To solve for R in terms of L and c, you need to use the Pythagorean theorem. R represents the length of the hypotenuse, while L and c represent the lengths of the other two sides of a right triangle. You can use the formula c^2 + L^2 = R^2 to solve for R.

2. Can I use any other formula to solve for R?

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to solve for R in terms of L and c. For example, if you know the angle between L and c, you can use the law of cosines to solve for R. Additionally, if you know the ratio of L to c, you can use the tangent ratio to solve for R.

3. Can I solve for R if I only know L and c?

No, you need at least one more piece of information, such as the angle between L and c or the ratio of L to c, to solve for R. This is because there are infinite possible values of R that could satisfy the equation c^2 + L^2 = R^2.

4. How can I use this formula in real life situations?

The formula c^2 + L^2 = R^2 can be used in various real life situations, such as calculating the length of a ladder needed to reach a certain height on a wall, determining the distance between two points on a map, or finding the length of a diagonal in a rectangular room.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula?

Yes, this formula can only be used to solve for R in right triangles. It cannot be applied to triangles with angles other than 90 degrees. Additionally, it assumes that the measurements of L and c are accurate, and any errors in measurement could result in an inaccurate solution for R.