Solve Free Fall Question: Earth vs Moon Gravity

In summary, the moon's gravity is about one sixth of the Earth's and two objects dropped at the same height on both Earth and Moon will take different times to reach the surface due to the difference in gravity. To calculate the time it takes for an object to fall, the equation y = 0.5gt^2 can be used, where y represents the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. However, it is important to consider the initial velocity (v0) of the object, which is 0m/s for both Earth and Moon. By plugging in the given values and solving for t, we can get the correct time it takes for the object to fall on Earth and Moon
Johnny_07
The moon's gravity is about one sixth of the Earth's. (Basically, one sixth of 9.80m/s^2). If two objects were dropped at the same height on the Earth and on the Moon, the time it would take for the object to reach the surface of the moon compared to the Earth is...
a) 6
b) 36
c) Square root of 6

I can't figure it out. I tried using the formula:
v^2 = -2g(Yo-Y)
but i got some really weird answers. Any help please? :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the question is asking you about the time it takes to fall. So you should start by using an equation that contains time.

oh yeah whoops, wrong formula.. i tried using y = v0*t - 0.5gt^2

sorry my bad

well, what is v0 in this problem? Hint: the object is initially being held at rest at some height and then is just dropped/released.

so the initial velocity is 0m/s..

then we have y = 0.5gt^2
and when i did it for both the Earth and the Moon, i got two really weird answers that aren't part of any of the choices..

SHOW us what you did.

Johnny_07 said:
then we have y = 0.5gt^2
and when i did it for both the Earth and the Moon, i got two really weird answers that aren't part of any of the choices..

Step back a bit. There are two scenarios,

1 on Earth) y(1) = v0(1) X t(1) + 9.8 X g X t(1)^2
2 on Moon) y(2) = v0(2) X t(2) + (9.8/6) X g X t(2)^2

Now, what do you know about y(1), y(2), v0(1), and v0(2)?

Related to Solve Free Fall Question: Earth vs Moon Gravity

1. How does the force of gravity differ between the Earth and the Moon?

The force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of an object and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects. Since the Moon has a smaller mass and is farther away from the Earth compared to an object on the Earth's surface, the force of gravity on the Moon is about 1/6th of the force of gravity on Earth.

2. What is the equation for calculating free fall on the Earth and Moon?

The equation for calculating free fall is the same on both the Earth and Moon: F = ma, where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. However, since the acceleration due to gravity is different on each celestial body, the value for a will be different.

3. How does air resistance affect free fall on the Earth and Moon?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. On Earth, air resistance can significantly affect the speed at which objects fall due to the denser atmosphere. However, on the Moon, which has a much thinner atmosphere, air resistance has a minimal effect on free fall.

4. What is the terminal velocity on the Earth and Moon?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach when falling through a medium, such as air. On Earth, the terminal velocity of an object is around 120 mph due to air resistance. However, on the Moon, where there is little to no air resistance, there is no terminal velocity, and objects will continue to accelerate until they hit the surface.

5. How does the mass of an object affect free fall on the Earth and Moon?

The mass of an object does not affect the acceleration due to gravity, but it does affect the force of gravity. Objects with a larger mass will experience a greater force of gravity on both the Earth and Moon. However, since the force of gravity is proportional to mass, the acceleration due to gravity will remain the same for all objects regardless of their mass.