Solve for x in the denominator of the fraction

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathlearn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the conversation discusses the steps to solve the equation 7/x = 14 by cross-multiplying and dividing through by 7. The result is x = 1/2. The person asking for help also thanks the expert for their assistance.
mathlearn
View attachment 5788

In this I think you should cross multiply ; I got 1/2 by doing so and I am not sure whether it is correct.Can you help me to solve this and be kind enough to explain your steps a little. :)

Attachments

• Capturefrac.PNG
    Capturefrac.PNG
    710 bytes · Views: 70
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Combine terms on the left:

\(\displaystyle \frac{7}{x}=14\)

Divide through by 7:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x}=2\)

Invert both sides:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{1}{2}\) :)

Many Thanks. :)

mathlearn said:
In this I think you should cross multiply ; I got 1/2 by doing so and I am not sure whether it is correct.Can you help me to solve this and be kind enough to explain your steps a little. :)

We cross-multiply when we replace the division symbol with multiplication symbol.

In this case we have addition, where we make denominators equal (and do not cross-multiply).

Main help is already provided by MarkFL.

Many Thanks (Smile)

Related to Solve for x in the denominator of the fraction

1. What does it mean to "solve for x in the denominator of the fraction"?

When solving for x in the denominator of a fraction, you are finding the value of x that will make the denominator equal to a specific number or expression.

2. Why is it important to solve for x in the denominator of a fraction?

Solving for x in the denominator allows you to simplify the fraction, making it easier to work with and understand. It also helps you find the value of the fraction, which may be necessary for further calculations.

3. What is the process for solving for x in the denominator of a fraction?

The process involves isolating the fraction with x in the denominator on one side of the equation, and then performing mathematical operations to eliminate the denominator and solve for x.

4. Can you give an example of solving for x in the denominator of a fraction?

Sure, let's say we have the fraction 3/(x+5). To solve for x in the denominator, we can multiply both sides of the equation by (x+5), which will eliminate the denominator. This gives us the equation 3 = x+5. We can then subtract 5 from both sides to get x = -2 as our solution.

5. Are there any special cases or rules to keep in mind when solving for x in the denominator of a fraction?

Yes, it is important to remember that any number or expression in the denominator cannot be equal to zero, as this would result in an undefined fraction. Additionally, if there are multiple fractions with x in the denominator, you may need to use the concept of least common denominator to solve for x.