Solve for Vo in Transistor Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for Vo in a circuit by using KVL for two loops. The summary includes calculations for the left and right loops, as well as a correction for a mistake made in the original attempt. The final answer for Vo is 5.0V, with the necessary calculations provided.
Tekneek

Homework Statement

So I am supposed to find Vo in this circuit. Given, Vb-Ve=0.7, ic=100ib, ie=ic+ib

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to solve for Vout i did KVL for the two loops:

Loop 1 (left side, clockwise):

Vb-Ve-ie(416)+2-ib(10*103)=0
0.7-ic(416)-ib(416)+2-ib(10*103)=0
0.7-ib(100)(416)-ib(416)+2-ib(10*103)=0
2.7-52016ib=0
ib=5.19*10-5A

ic=5.19mA
ie=ic+ib=5.2mA
Ve=ie(416)=2.18V (this one i am not sure)

Loop 2 (Right side, anti-clockwise)

10-ic(2*103)-Vo-Ve-ie(416)=0
Subbing in everything i get
Vo=4.7V

But the answer is supposed to be 5 Volts, i am not sure where i made a mistake.

xlwnqr.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The 2V and the 0.7V in the left hand loop are in opposite directions, so they should subtract, not add, so you should get 1.3-52016*Ib=0.

Last edited:
phyzguy said:
The 2V and the 0.7V in the left hand loop are in opposite directions, so they should subtract, not add, so you should get 1.3-52016*Ib=0.

I still don't get the right answer, this time around i get 7.87

You've made another mistake in the right hand loop, but you don't really need that. With what I gave you, you should get Ib = 25μA. Ic = 100* Ib = 2.5 mA. Vout = 10.0 - 2.5mA * 2.0 kΩ = 5.0V

Great job on using KVL to solve for Vo in this transistor circuit! Your approach looks correct, but there are a few small mistakes that may have led to the incorrect answer.

Firstly, in your first loop, when you substitute in the values for Vb and Ve, it should be 0.7V-ib(416)=0 instead of 0.7-ib(416)+2=0. This is because the voltage drop across the base-emitter junction is 0.7V, so you should only include that value and not the 2V in your equation.

Secondly, in your second loop, when you substitute in the values for Ve and ie, it should be -Ve-ie(416)=0 instead of -Ve-ie(416)-ie(416)=0. This is because the current flowing through the base-emitter junction is the same as the current flowing through the resistor, so you only need to include it once in your equation.

Finally, when you solve for Vo, you should get Vo=5V instead of 4.7V. This is because when you substitute in all the values, you should get Vo=5V instead of 4.7V. This may have been a calculation error or a rounding error.

Overall, your approach was correct, but just be sure to double check your equations and values to avoid small mistakes that can affect the final answer. Keep up the good work!

Related to Solve for Vo in Transistor Circuit

1. How do I solve for Vo in a transistor circuit?

To solve for Vo in a transistor circuit, you will need to use Kirchhoff's circuit laws and Ohm's law. You will also need to know the values of the resistors, the input voltage, and the characteristics of the transistor.

2. What is the purpose of solving for Vo in a transistor circuit?

Solving for Vo allows you to determine the output voltage of the transistor circuit. This information is important in understanding the behavior and performance of the circuit.

3. Can I solve for Vo without knowing the transistor characteristics?

No, the characteristics of the transistor, such as the current gain and voltage drop, are essential in solving for Vo. Without this information, the calculation would not be accurate.

4. How can I verify the accuracy of my calculated Vo?

You can verify the accuracy of your calculated Vo by using a multimeter to measure the output voltage of the circuit. If the measured voltage is close to your calculated value, then your calculation is likely accurate.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for Vo in a transistor circuit?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for the voltage drop across the base-emitter junction of the transistor. It is important to include this in your calculations to get an accurate result. Another mistake is not considering the polarity of the output voltage, which can affect the direction of current flow in the circuit.