Where is the electric field is zero?

In summary, two charges of 1.5X10^-6 c and 3.0X10^-6 c, spaced 0.2 m apart, will result in an electric field of 0 at a distance of approximately 0.08 m from the smaller charge. This can be calculated using Coulomb's law and the quadratic formula.
two charges of 1.5X10^-6 c and 3.0X10^-6 c are 0.2 m apart. Where is the electric field between them equal to zero?

heres what i got...

the electric field will be 0 when the field strength of the first charge minus the field strength of the second charge equals 0.

therefore,

q(1)-----x------P-------(0.2 - x)-------q(2)

where...
P is where the electric field equals 0
q(1) is the first charge
q(2) is the second charge
x is the distance (in metres) from the charge

[ kq(1) / (x)^2 ] - [ kq(2)/ ((0.2-x)^2) ] = 0

from here,
i cancel out the k's
find the common denominator and cancel it out once my numerator is expanded
try and use the quadratic equation to solve for x. however, when i try to solve for x i get a complex number...what am i doing wrong? the book says the answer is 0.08m (approx.) if you know a faster and much easier way, please do tell...thanks a bunch...

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the neutral point be a distance r from the smaller charge Q and a distance R-r from the bigger charge 2Q. Note that

kQ/r^2 - 2kQ/(R-r)^2 = 0 expresses the neutrality of the electric force along the line between the charges, by Coulomb's law.

After some algebraic manipulation you get

r^2 + 2Rr - R^2 = 0.

Applying the quadratic formula,

r = -R +/- sqrt(2)R. (I am too lazy to figure out how to stack the plus or minus symbol, so I wrote it as +/-.)

Discard the root that does not lie between the two charges. This leaves you with

r = [sqrt(2) - 1]R.

Here R=0.2 m, so you have

r = [1.414 - 1] 0.2

which works out to about 0.08 meters, that being the distance from the smaller charge.

Your approach is correct, but it seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculations when solving for x using the quadratic equation. Here is a step-by-step solution for finding the value of x:

1. Set up the equation:

[ kq(1) / (x)^2 ] - [ kq(2)/ ((0.2-x)^2) ] = 0

2. Cancel out the k's:

[ q(1) / (x)^2 ] - [ q(2)/ ((0.2-x)^2) ] = 0

3. Expand the denominators:

[ q(1) / x^2 ] - [ q(2) / (0.04 - 0.4x + x^2) ] = 0

4. Find the common denominator:

[ q(1)(0.04 - 0.4x + x^2) / x^2(0.04 - 0.4x + x^2) ] - [ q(2)(x^2) / x^2(0.04 - 0.4x + x^2) ] = 0

5. Simplify:

[ 0.04q(1) - 0.4q(1)x + q(1)x^2 - q(2)x^2 ] / [ x^2(0.04 - 0.4x + x^2) ] = 0

6. Combine like terms:

[ (q(1) - q(2))x^2 + 0.4q(1)x + 0.04q(1) ] / [ x^2(0.04 - 0.4x + x^2) ] = 0

7. Set the numerator equal to 0:

(q(1) - q(2))x^2 + 0.4q(1)x + 0.04q(1) = 0

8. Use the quadratic formula to solve for x:

x = [ -0.4q(1) ± √(0.4q(1))^2 - 4(q(1) - q(2))(0.04q(1)) ] / 2(q(1) - q(2))

9. Simplify:

x = [ -0.4q(1) ± √(

1. What is the concept of electric field and how is it related to the zero electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that represents the force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charged particles. The concept of zero electric field refers to a point or region in space where the net electric field is equal to zero, meaning there is no force acting on a charged particle at that point.

2. What are some common situations where the electric field is zero?

The electric field can be zero in various situations, such as at the center of a uniformly charged spherical object, between two oppositely charged parallel plates, or at the midpoint between two equal and opposite point charges.

3. How can the zero electric field be calculated?

The zero electric field can be calculated by using the principle of superposition, which states that the net electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields due to each individual charge. In cases where the electric field is zero, the magnitudes and directions of the individual electric fields must cancel out to produce a net electric field of zero.

4. What are some applications of the zero electric field?

The concept of zero electric field has various applications in physics and engineering. For example, in electronic devices, engineers often design circuits to have regions where the electric field is zero to prevent unwanted interference. In particle accelerators, the electric field is carefully controlled to be zero at specific points to guide particles along their desired trajectory.

5. Can the electric field be zero everywhere in a given space?

No, the electric field cannot be zero everywhere in a given space. This is because the electric field is a vector quantity and must have a magnitude and direction at each point in space. However, there are situations where the electric field can be considered effectively zero, such as in the space between two oppositely charged parallel plates that are very far apart from each other.