Crooke's Radiometer: How Does It Work Without Motors or Electronics?

• Thread starter pephilg
  • Start date
In summary, Crooke's Radiometer is a toy that demonstrates the principle of differential heating and photon pressure. The rotating shaft with four plates, one side shiny and the other dark, is free to move on each end and will rotate in the presence of strong sunlight or heat. When shaded or exposed to artificial light, the rotation slows or stops respectively. In a good vacuum, it can also rotate in the opposite direction due to the momentum change of reflected particles, but this requires a low-friction suspension.
pephilg
I have a question regarding a cool toy I saw and I’m not sure how it works.
It was a glass sphere, enclosed in the sphere was a rotating shaft with four plates. The plates had a shinny surface on one side and a dark surface on the other. The rotating shaft was free to move on each end and contained no motors or other electronics. The shaft rotates in the presence of strong sun light or the heat produced by the sunlight. I noticed when the sphere was shaded it did slow down. Shining an artificial light on it did cause it to rotate but very slowly. Can anyone explain to me the principle of operation. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Crooke's Radiometer

Welcome to the forums, pephilg!

That toy is called a Crooke's Radiometer. The dark surface is a better absorber of light energy than the shiny surface, so it heats up more. In turn, the air next to the dark surface gets a little hotter, which increases its pressure. It's the pressure difference across the plates that makes it rotate.

Isn't also true to say that if the pressure inside is reduced to a low enough value, it will rotate in the OPPoSITE direction due to the momentum change of the reflected particles?

Has this ever been done?

Yes and yes. With the air gone, the dominant effect will be photon pressure: greatest for the shiny side. You need a good vacuum and low-friction suspension of the vanes.

What is Crooke's Radiometer?

Crooke's Radiometer is a scientific instrument that uses light to measure the intensity and direction of radiation. It is also known as a light mill or solar engine.

How does Crooke's Radiometer work?

Crooke's Radiometer consists of a glass bulb containing a partial vacuum, with four vanes suspended inside. The vanes are black on one side and white on the other. When exposed to light, the black side of the vanes absorbs the light and the white side reflects it. This creates a pressure difference between the two sides of the vanes, causing them to rotate.

What is the purpose of Crooke's Radiometer?

The purpose of Crooke's Radiometer is to demonstrate the principles of thermal transpiration and radiation pressure. It is also used to measure the intensity of light sources and to study the effects of different types of radiation.

Who invented Crooke's Radiometer?

Crooke's Radiometer was invented by the British scientist William Crookes in 1873. He was interested in studying the effects of radiation and developed the instrument as a way to measure and demonstrate these effects.

How accurate is Crooke's Radiometer?

Crooke's Radiometer is not considered a highly accurate instrument for measuring light intensity. Its primary purpose is for demonstration and qualitative analysis rather than precise quantitative measurements. Factors such as air pressure, temperature, and humidity can also affect its accuracy.