Solve for H/L Ratio in Equal Tetrahedron

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the ratio between the height (H) and length (L) of a regular tetrahedron, which has four equilateral triangular faces. The participants share equations and calculations, but there is some confusion about the correct answer. The conversation also touches on the height of an equilateral triangle, which is side times square root of 3 over 2.
chmilne
Here's the problem:

A regular tetrahedron is a three-dimensional object that has four faces, each of which is an equilateral triangle. Each of the edges of such an object has a length L. The height H of a regular tetrahedron is the perpendicular distance from one corner to the center of the opposite triangular face. Show that the ratio between H and L is H/L = sqrt (2/3).

Here's what I've done so far:
Take a look at the attachment.

L2 = H2 + (H/2)2
L2 = H2 + (H2/2)
L2 = ( (2H2)/2 ) + (H2/2)
L2 = 3H2/2
2L2 = 3H2
(√2)L = (√3)H
((√2) / (√3)) / L = H
((√2) / (√3)) = H / L
√(2/3) = H / L

I was excited that I thought I had found the answer that I completely squared the 'b' in this euqation, thus throwing off the rest of the equation. I know I'm close, but I seem to be missing something. Will someone please help?

Attachments

• Tetrahedron.JPG
    Tetrahedron.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 660
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Im finding it kinda hard to understand your working, but shouldn't the second line be:
L2 = H2 + (H2/4)
?

The center of an equilateral triangle is on the altitude, 1/3 of the way from the vertex to the base. That is not "H/2". If an equilateral triangle has sides of length L, what is the length of the altitude? What is 1/3 of that?

In an equilateral triangle the Height is always side times sq(3)/2, that's basic Geometry knowledge, but do you mean the height of the whole figure, or the height of one of the faces? That...is not the same.

Related to Solve for H/L Ratio in Equal Tetrahedron

1. What is the H/L ratio in an equal tetrahedron?

The H/L ratio in an equal tetrahedron is equal to the square root of 3.

2. How is the H/L ratio calculated in an equal tetrahedron?

The H/L ratio in an equal tetrahedron is calculated by dividing the height of the tetrahedron by the length of one of its edges.

3. Can the H/L ratio in an equal tetrahedron be greater than 1?

No, the H/L ratio in an equal tetrahedron cannot be greater than 1. The maximum value for the H/L ratio in an equal tetrahedron is approximately 0.8165.

4. What is the significance of the H/L ratio in an equal tetrahedron?

The H/L ratio in an equal tetrahedron is a measure of the slant height of the tetrahedron, which is important in determining the volume and surface area of the shape.

5. How does the H/L ratio in an equal tetrahedron compare to other geometric shapes?

The H/L ratio in an equal tetrahedron is unique to this specific shape and cannot be compared to other geometric shapes. Each shape will have its own H/L ratio which is determined by its dimensions and angles.