Solve for $a^2$ in $u_{xx} = u_{tt}$ using $u_1$ and $u_2$

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
In summary, we have solved for $a^2 u_{xx} = u_{tt}$ for real number $\lambda$, and determined that $u_1(x,t) = \sin(\lambda x) \sin(\lambda at)$ and $u_2(x,t) = e^{-a^2 \lambda^2 t}\sin(\lambda x)$ are possible solutions. We have also shown that $a^2 u_{xx} = u_{tt}$ holds true for these solutions.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Find $a^2 u_{xx} = u_{tt} $ if $\lambda$ a real number.
If
$u_1\left(x, t\right)=\sin\left({\lambda x}\right)\sin\left({\lambda at}\right)$
And
$u_2 \left(x, t\right)={e}^{-a^2 \lambda ^2 t}\sin\left({\lambda x}\right)$

I didn't know how to deal with the $a^2$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
Find $a^2 u_{xx} = u_{tt} $ if $\lambda$ a real number.
If
$u_1\left(x, t\right)=\sin\left({\lambda x}\right)\sin\left({\lambda at}\right)$
And
$u_2 \left(x, t\right)={e}^{-a^2 \lambda ^2 t}\sin\left({\lambda x}\right)$

I didn't know how to deal with the $a^2$

What do you mean "find" this differential equation? Are you trying to solve it? Or are you trying to show that u1 and u2 are possible solutions?

Yes sorry
Are $u^1$ and $u^2$ possible solutions
On the calculator I got
$${u}_{xx}=-\lambda^2\sin\left({\lambda x}\right) $$
So $\alpha$ disappeared

Last edited:
karush said:
Yes sorry
Are $u^1$ and $u^2$ possible solutions
On the calculator I got
$${u}_{xx}=-\lambda^2\sin\left({\lambda x}\right) $$
So $\alpha$ disappeared

It can't disappear. The entire $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sin{ \left( \lambda \, a\, t \right) } \end{align*}$ term is a constant when differentiating partially with respect to x.

Since $u_{xx}=-\lambda^2 \sin\left({\lambda x}\right)\sin\left({a\lambda t}\right)$

and

$u_{tt}=-a^2 \lambda^2 \sin\left({\lambda x}\right)\sin\left({a\lambda t}\right)$

Then $a^2 u_{xx}=u_{tt } $
I hope

karush said:
Since $u_{xx}=-\lambda^2 \sin\left({\lambda x}\right)\sin\left({a\lambda t}\right)$

and

$u_{tt}=-a^2 \lambda^2 \sin\left({\lambda x}\right)\sin\left({a\lambda t}\right)$

Then $a^2 u_{xx}=u_{tt } $
I hope

Yes that is correct :)

Can you do the other part of the question?

Related to Solve for $a^2$ in $u_{xx} = u_{tt}$ using $u_1$ and $u_2$

1. What does "$a^2$" represent in this equation?

In this equation, $a^2$ represents the coefficient of the second derivative of the function $u(x,t)$.

2. How do you solve for $a^2$ using $u_1$ and $u_2$?

To solve for $a^2$ in this equation, you would first take the second derivative of both $u_1$ and $u_2$ with respect to $x$ and $t$. Then, you would set these derivatives equal to each other and solve for $a^2$.

3. What is the significance of using $u_1$ and $u_2$ in this equation?

The functions $u_1$ and $u_2$ represent two different solutions to the same differential equation. By setting their second derivatives equal to each other, we can solve for the coefficient $a^2$ that is common to both solutions.

4. Can you use any other functions besides $u_1$ and $u_2$ to solve for $a^2$?

Yes, you can use any two solutions to the differential equation $u_{xx} = u_{tt}$ in place of $u_1$ and $u_2$ to solve for $a^2$. However, it is important to note that the solutions must be linearly independent in order for this method to work.

5. Why is solving for $a^2$ important in this equation?

Solving for $a^2$ allows us to determine the value of the coefficient of the second derivative in the differential equation $u_{xx} = u_{tt}$. This information is important in understanding the behavior of the function $u(x,t)$ and finding its general solution.