Solve for 0<b<a: Proving Inequality & Approximation Error

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about variables and an inequality that involves x and a. The attempt at a solution involves expanding the inequality, using concepts of exponents, and connecting the statement involving a and b to the set of inequalities. The final statement suggests setting x as \left( \frac{b}{a} \right) ^2 and using algebra to solve for a. The person is seeking help with this question in order to continue their self-taught mathematics journey.
Alephu5

Homework Statement

Firstly, I'd just like to point out that this is not actually a course related question. I have been trying to teach myself mathematics, and have been grappling with this for a couple of days. The book has no answer at the back for this particular question.

Variables:
[itex]0<x<1[/itex]
[itex]0<b<a[/itex]

Show that [itex](1-\frac{1}{2}x^{2})^{2} < 1-x < (1-\frac{1}{2}x)^{2}[/itex]. Hence show that if [itex]0<b<a[/itex], the error in taking [itex] a-\frac{b^{2}}{2a}[/itex] as an approximation to [itex]\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}[/itex] is positive and less than [itex]\frac{b^{4}}{2a^{3}}[/itex].

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part is relatively easy:

Expansion of the inequality involving x gives:

[itex]1-x-\frac{3}{4}x^{2}+\frac{1}{2}x^{3}+\frac{1}{4}x^{4}<1-x<1-x+\frac{1}{4}x^{2}[/itex]​

Due to the fact fact that

[itex]0<x<1[/itex]​

The following is true:

[itex]x^{n}>x^{n+1}[/itex]​

This concept can be used to prove that

[itex]\frac{3}{4}x^{2}>\frac{1}{2}x^{3}+\frac{1}{4}x^{4}[/itex]​

The last part is more straightforward, it is simply due to the fact that:

[itex]\frac{1}{4}x^{2}>0[/itex]​

I have no idea how to connect the statement involving [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] to this set of inequalities, however from what I understand the initial statement is:

[itex]0<a-\frac{b^{2}}{2a}-\sqrt{a^{2}-b^{2}}<\frac{b^4}{2a^3}[/itex]​

I have attempted a bit of algebra jiggling, which gives:

[itex]2a^{2}+b^{2}<3a^{4}[/itex]​

Evidently, this is only true when [itex]a>1[/itex]

Any help would be much appreciated! I would really love to put this to rest, so that I can move beyond page 34... there are about 450 more to go.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hint: Let [tex]x = \left( \frac{b}{a} \right) ^2[/tex]

Related to Solve for 0<b<a: Proving Inequality & Approximation Error

1. What does it mean to "solve for 0

When we say "solve for 0

2. How do you prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, we must show that one side is greater than or less than the other side. This can be done by performing mathematical operations on both sides of the inequality and simplifying to show that the inequality holds true.

3. What is approximation error?

Approximation error is the difference between the actual value of a quantity and the value obtained through an approximation method or calculation. It is also known as rounding error and can occur due to limitations in measurement or calculation methods.

4. How can you use approximation to prove an inequality?

Approximation can be used to prove an inequality by providing an estimate of the values involved and showing that the inequality holds true for those estimated values. This can help in simplifying complex expressions and making the inequality easier to prove.

5. Can you provide an example of solving for 0

Sure, let's say we have the inequality 0 < x < 10 and we want to prove it. We can start by estimating values for x, such as x = 1 and x = 9. Then, we can plug these values into the original inequality and see that both sides hold true: 0 < 1 < 10 and 0 < 9 < 10. This shows that the inequality is true for these values and can be generalized to all values between 0 and 10, thus proving the statement 0 < x < 10.