Solve Fluid Motion Problems: Blood Pressure & Oil Flow

In summary, the conversation involved two problems, the first one concerning the blood pressure difference between a normal and constricted segment of an artery, and the second one involving the volume of oil flowing through a pipeline in one day. The solution for the first problem involves using Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation, while the second problem can be solved by calculating the area of the pipeline and finding the volume of oil that flows through it in one second and then expanding it to a full day.
moonlit
Hi,

I have two problems that I'm stuck on. Not really sure how to get the answer/what equation to use. Can someone help me?

1) The blood speed in a normal segment of a horizontal artery is 0.13 m/s. An abnormal segment of the artery is narrowed down by an arteriosclerotic plaque to 1/4 of its normal cross-sectional area. What is the difference in blood pressure between the normal and constricted segments of the artery?

2) Oil is flowing with a speed of 2.42 m/s through a pipeline with a radius of 0.132 m. How many gallons of oil (1 gal = 3.79 x 10-3 m3) flow in one day?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what you need:

1) Use Bernoulli's equation. It relates pressure to speed in a fluid. (Look it up.) You'll also need the "continuity" equation:
[tex]V_1A_1 = V_2A_2[/tex], where V is speed and A is area.

2) If you understand what the above continuity equation means, you can use it to solve this one also.

For the first problem, would it be possible to find the volume rate of flow first and then find how many gallons flow in one day? I guess I'm just having problems setting this one up...

Originally posted by moonlit
For the first problem, would it be possible to find the volume rate of flow first and then find how many gallons flow in one day? I guess I'm just having problems setting this one up...
You could certainly find it, but it won't help you solve the problem. Have you looked up Bernoulli?

Yeah I've looked at Bernolli's equation but I'm not sure what numbers to plug in. I don't have the density or pressure for example so I'm kinda lost here... :(

First of all - all youe are asked for is the pressuredifference. You don't need the absolute pressures for that.

And the density of blood shouldn't be too hard to find. If you find nothing better take water density for a first guess ;)

Originally posted by moonlit

Don't you mean for the second problem? That's the one that asked for "gallons per day".

Certainly you can.
"Oil is flowing with a speed of 2.42 m/s through a pipeline with a radius of 0.132 m."

You can calculate the (cross-section) area of the pipeline, calculate how far along the pipe a "section" of oil will flow in a second and find the volume of that cylinder. Now expand that to a full day.

Related to Solve Fluid Motion Problems: Blood Pressure & Oil Flow

1. How is blood pressure measured?

Blood pressure is measured using a sphygmomanometer, which consists of an inflatable cuff, a pressure gauge, and a stethoscope. The cuff is placed around the upper arm and inflated to temporarily stop blood flow. The pressure is then gradually released while the stethoscope is used to listen for the sound of blood flowing through the arteries. The two numbers recorded represent the systolic pressure (when the heart contracts) and diastolic pressure (when the heart relaxes).

2. What factors affect blood pressure?

Several factors can affect blood pressure, including age, weight, diet, physical activity, stress levels, and underlying health conditions. Certain medications, such as those for high blood pressure or heart disease, can also impact blood pressure levels.

3. How does fluid viscosity affect oil flow?

Fluid viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. In the case of oil flow, higher viscosity means the oil is thicker and more resistant to flowing, while lower viscosity means the oil is thinner and more easily flows. This can impact the rate of flow and pressure needed to move the oil through a system.

4. What is the Bernoulli's principle and how does it relate to fluid motion problems?

Bernoulli's principle states that in an ideal fluid flow, there is an inverse relationship between pressure and velocity. In other words, as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This principle is often used to explain the behavior of fluids in motion, such as blood flow or oil flow, and can be applied to solve various fluid motion problems.

5. What are some common applications of solving fluid motion problems?

Solving fluid motion problems has many practical applications, such as understanding and predicting blood flow in the body, designing efficient and effective pipelines for oil or gas transportation, and optimizing the aerodynamics of vehicles and aircraft. It is also important in industries such as chemical engineering, environmental engineering, and biomedical engineering.