Solve Fermi's Non-Paradox: Astronomers Weigh In

• I
  • Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, but it's been awhile and smarrness in and of itself is no guarantee your ideas persist. I can see how a minor inferiourity comolex would prevent some stepping up to say: "This genius was wrong am I'm right. I have an Etch&Sketch here with my math.". :)1,) Yes and using proper statistical distributions (and monte carlo sims? It's been a little while since I read it but) I seem to remeber that the number they arrived at was somwthing like a 50 to 90% probability that we are in fact alone in the observable universe. Bad news for space opera scifi writers bit good news for
The question is, why haven't we seen extraterrestrial civilizations? Well, we have: photo of of floating city seen over Yueng, China
chinaspacecity.jpg

Astronomy news on Phys.org
BWV said:
The basic FP expansionist logic just requires sub-light travel. Self-replicating Von Neumann probes traveling at 0.1C could still have completely overrun the galaxy by now. Megastructures built by K1+ level civilizations would be another indicator that does not require space-opera stellar empires. Additionally, it is rational to assume any technological civilization would become concerned with its eventual extinction as its home star ages
The FP doesn't address the motivations at all. Maybe FTL travel is necessary to motivate such a civilization? Basically, we have absolutely no idea how an alien culture would think about themselves or the universe. They might even have religious motivations we couldn't begin to comprehend. Everything we think is biased by our human perspectives.

bob012345 said:
Fermi's original view was that if they existed at all the galaxy should be utterly filled with them. So the ability to colonize would be the sign of intelligence.
Is that last sentence from Fermi or from you? Because I don't see how it necessarily follows from what precedes.

That sort of assumption is a good example of why the Drake equation is so wildly imprecise. The assumption of colonization changes the result by many orders of magnitude.

russ_watters said:
Is that last sentence from Fermi or from you? Because I don't see how it necessarily follows from what precedes.
Sorry it wasn't clear that was my inference. I think it would be a tangible sign of their intelligence to us if we notice the colonization or in other words, the answer to Fermi's question 'Where is everybody? would then be 'There they are!'.

But in 1950 when Fermi asked the question, what metric would he have had to answer it? At that time humans did not have proof of even one exoplanet and that was years before Morrison and Cocconi proposed SETI.

Last edited:
I’m amused, though perhaps not surprised, that this thread seems to have acquired a life beyond it’s “natural“ expiry date. It’s a “popular physics” topic after all.

So the argument goes to and fro. Admit it we just don't know. And we never will unless perhaps some race finds those 'wormholes'. Even then we will not know as why would they come in our direction (it's a backwater)? They will head for the Core as that's where all the fun is. SETI will likely fizzle out in a few years.

Keith_McClary said:

That would make Fermi's paradox even worse. Once started the expanding colonisation bubble would need at most 100,000 years to reach us. Why isn't it already here? Considering the age of the Milky Way the probability of this scenario is somewhere between 1:10,000 and 1:100,000.

My reaction to Fermi's question varies depends on what I am studying. After finishing books and papers on the difficulties and prerequisites for evolution of (intelligent) life on Earth, I think "We are alone.".

After understanding the latest estimates of cosmic distances, I figure "How can we know?".

Upon studying current estimates of the number and extent of other galaxies, the latest exoplanet discoveries in our galaxy, and reading optimistic estimates of potential life bearing objects in same, I am all "Howdy, Neighbor!".

Likes BillTre
DrStupid said:
Once started the expanding colonisation bubble would need at most 100,000 years to reach us. Why isn't it already here? Considering the age of the Milky Way the probability of this scenario is somewhere between 1:10,000 and 1:100,000.
They are considering intergalactic travel.
https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.01522

The Fermi Paradox presupposes that alien civilizations either would want contact with others or would not care if others knew they were present. Why would this be the case? I see many possible negatives from such interaction, and not much positive that could not be acquired by passive observation. This doesn't require a Great Filter, just a big "meh".