Solve Calculus Problems: Limits and Gradients Explained | Algebra II Tips

• Thread starter Sombra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, for the first problem, the limit is 1/12 and for the second problem, the gradient of a function with an exponent and a variable can be found using the formula y'= ln(a) ax.
Sombra
Ok, I have 2 problems. I think my first one deals with an algebra II thing. But, it's: Evaluate the limit (if it exists):

lim (x approaches -2) (x+2)/(x^3 +8)

I think my problem came from factoring the denominator, which I got as
(x+2)(x^2 - 4x +2), so my answer came out to be 1/14, which is not one of the answer choices. I can't remember factoring cubes. I know it's SOPSMS, but I can't even remember how to do that.

My other problem. Can anyone give me an example of finding the gradient of a function at, say x=3, for something that has an exponent with a variable? Maybe 4^x. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You cube is almost correct but you needed to multiply 2 and x and have 2^2 at the end so you should get (x+2)(x^2 - 2x +4). The answer is 1/12

Sombra said:
My other problem. Can anyone give me an example of finding the gradient of a function at, say x=3, for something that has an exponent with a variable? Maybe 4^x. Thanks!

I assume you want, for example:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx} 4^x=\ln 4 \times 4^x[/tex]

(It's usually called a derivative in english. Gradient refers to other things.)

In a bit more detail: if y= ax, then ln(y)= x ln(a) so (ln(y))'= (1/y)y'= ln(a)
Then y'= ln(a) y= ln(a) ax.

1. What is easy calculus?

Easy calculus refers to basic mathematical concepts and techniques used to study continuous change. It involves understanding and applying the principles of limits, derivatives, and integrals.

2. What is a calculus problem?

A calculus problem is a mathematical question or exercise that requires the application of calculus concepts to solve. It typically involves finding derivatives, integrals, or solving related rates problems.

3. How do I solve an easy calculus problem?

To solve an easy calculus problem, you must first understand the basic principles of calculus, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. Then, you can apply these concepts to the given problem and use algebraic and computational techniques to find the solution.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving easy calculus problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving easy calculus problems include not understanding the basic principles, making errors in algebraic calculations, and forgetting to check for extraneous solutions. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving easy calculus problems?

To improve your skills in solving easy calculus problems, practice regularly and thoroughly understand the fundamental principles of calculus. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to gain a better understanding of the concepts and techniques used in calculus.