Solve Equations of Motion: Wrench Falling Past Window

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics homework question involving a falling wrench and using equations of motion to calculate its initial velocity. The student initially makes a mistake in their calculation, but with the help of others, they are able to correct it and arrive at the correct answer of -0.39 m/s for the initial velocity of the wrench. The importance of specifying units when presenting an answer is also emphasized.
Hurr1cane
Warning! Posting template must be used for homework questions.
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I can get some help with a question in my homework. Here's the question:

A workman on the scaffolding outside one of the physics classrooms drops a wrench. A pupil decides to time how long it takes for it to pass the classroom window. It was found that it took 0.6seconds to fall past the 2 metre tall window. Calculate the wrenches initial velocity as it appears at the top of the window.

I am presuming that this requires an equation of motion, but I am really not sure on where to start/what equation to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing down

a) The equations of motion you know.
b) What you know from the problem using the same variable names. Do you know the acceleration? Initial velocity? Final Velocity? Time? Distance?

Then have a go at choosing an appropriate equation. Post your choice and working and someone will let you know if that's right/wrong etc

Okay, thanks for the reply! Here's what I've done:

I rearranged s=ut+0.5at^2, so that I could find u. ( u= (s-0.5at^2)/t)

So, when I substitute in the values, I get:
u=(2-0.5x-9.8x0.6^2)/0.6, which gave me an answer of 6.27m/s.

I'm not too confident on whether this is correct or not though.

Need to be careful with the signs. Which way are you measuring s and u? Is up positive or negative? What about g?

For me, up is positive, and down is negative. Also, I wasn't aware that g was involved for that equation, aside from being used for the acceleration. Have I made a stupid mistake?

If up is positive, what signs should you have for the distance traveled and the initial velocity?

They should be negative! Okay, I get it now! Thanks for the help guys!

So, the answer will be -0.39?

That's what I get.

Remember that an examiner may not define the same direction as +ve so always state that early in your working.

Hurr1cane said:
So, the answer will be -0.39?

One very important thing: -0.39 what? A velocity is a dimensionful quantity and if you do not specify the unit we do not a priori know if it is m/s, km/h, km/s, or parsec/Hubble time.

I do not know about your teacher, but I typically make significant deductions of points if units are missing.

Related to Solve Equations of Motion: Wrench Falling Past Window

1. How do you solve equations of motion?

To solve equations of motion, you need to know the initial velocity, time, and acceleration of an object. You can then use the equations of motion, such as v = u + at and s = ut + 1/2at^2, to calculate the final velocity and displacement.

2. What are the equations of motion?

The equations of motion are mathematical equations that describe the motion of an object. They include equations for velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

3. Can you solve equations of motion for any type of motion?

Yes, the equations of motion can be used to solve for the motion of any object, whether it is linear, circular, or projectile motion. However, the initial conditions and equations used may differ depending on the type of motion.

4. What is the significance of solving equations of motion?

Solving equations of motion allows us to predict the future motion of an object, which is essential in many fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It also helps us understand the relationships between velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

5. How do you apply equations of motion to a real-life scenario?

To apply equations of motion to a real-life scenario, you need to gather the initial conditions, such as the initial velocity and time, and the known acceleration of the object. You can then plug these values into the relevant equations to calculate the final velocity and displacement of the object.