Solve Engineering Problem: Air Flow Speed in Duct for 3x4.5x6m Room

In summary, the problem is asking for the necessary flow speed in a circular duct in order to exchange the air in a room with given dimensions every 12 minutes. This can be solved by using the formula V = Q/A, where Q is the volumetric flow rate and A is the cross-sectional area of the duct.
physicnow
Pls help on this problem that I can not solve it.

a room measures 3.0 m by 4.5 m by 6.0 m. The heating and air conditioning ducts to and from the room are circular with diameter 0.30 m, and the air in the room is to be exchanged every 12 minutes. What is the necessary flow speed in the duct? ( Assume that the density of the air is constant)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Please do not post homework problems in the tutorial section.

Basically, the is a volumetric flow rate problem. One knows the total volume of the room (L * W * H) which has to be replaced in 12 minutes or 720 s.

One knows the diameter of the duct work, so one computes the area.

Q = V * A, where Q = volumetric flowrate, V = mean velocity, and A = cross-sectional area.

Thanks

Thank for reply, Astronuc, I have a question, you said Q=V*A, V=velocity, but in the problem, it does not give velocity value, how do I get it. Thanks again.

V = Q/A, and one must compute Q and A to get V.

Related to Solve Engineering Problem: Air Flow Speed in Duct for 3x4.5x6m Room

What is the formula for calculating air flow speed in a duct?

The formula for calculating air flow speed in a duct is: V = Q/A, where V is the air velocity, Q is the air flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the duct.

How do I determine the air flow rate for a 3x4.5x6m room?

The air flow rate for a room can be determined by calculating the volume of the room and then multiplying it by the number of air changes per hour (ACH) desired. For example, if the room is 3x4.5x6m (81 cubic meters) and you want 10 air changes per hour, the air flow rate would be 810 cubic meters per hour.

What is the standard air flow speed for a duct system?

The standard air flow speed for a duct system is typically between 500-2000 feet per minute (fpm), depending on the application and industry standards. However, the recommended air flow speed for residential HVAC systems is around 800 fpm.

What factors can affect air flow speed in a duct?

There are several factors that can affect air flow speed in a duct, including the size and shape of the duct, the material of the duct, any bends or obstructions in the duct, and the air pressure and temperature. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating air flow speed in a duct.

How can I increase air flow speed in a duct?

To increase air flow speed in a duct, you can increase the size of the duct, reduce any obstructions or bends, or increase the fan speed. It is important to note that increasing air flow speed too much can lead to inefficiency and noise, so it is recommended to consult with an expert before making any changes.