Solve Energy/Work Problem: Find Height of Thrown Ball

• Thread starter Tuffman087
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the height of a thrown bowling ball using the given force and distance. Multiple equations and methods are discussed, including using the work-energy theorem and kinematics. The final answer is determined to be 11.8 meters.
Tuffman087
I am stumped by a problem I was given to find the height of a thrown ball from the point of release. The problem is:

During a contest that involved throwing a 7.0 kg bowling ball straight up in the air, one contestant exerted a force of 810 N on the ball. If the force was exerted through a distance of 2.0 M, how high did the ball go from point of release?

I've been working for the past 15 minutes trying to set up an equation/s, but I can't figure out which way to take the problem. Any advice on how to arrange the given quantities would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...I'm not exactly an expert...lol. But I'll give you my advice anyway.

Draw a free body diagram on the ball. Find the sum of the forces (810 N going up, 700 N down)...remember W=F(distance)..

Now, I'm pretty sure work=kinetic engergy. try to find the initial veloc. of the ball. then use kinematics to find max height.

let me know if you understand what I'm saying...please show your work.

I set it so that Work= Change in Kinetic Energy and got an answer I don't think is feasible. Fd=m(v squared)/2 (810)(2.0)=(7.0)(v squared)/2 v=square root(3240/7) which equals a velocity of 22 m/s after I plugged that into the Ke=Ug equation I got a height of 25 m.

I have a feelign I'm making this problem a lot harder than it truly is.

remember the sum of the force is just 810-700 (weight of ball)...=110

At point of release KE = 1620J, PE = 0
At point of impact KE = 0, PE = 1620J
KE = .5mv^2
PE = mgh
PEi + KEi = PEf+KEf
mgh+.5mv^2 = mgh+.5mv^2. Notice both sides equal 1620.

mgh = 0 ______ .5mv^2 = 0

.5mv^2 = mgh
F*d = mv^2​
.5v^2 = gh
v^2 = F*d/m​

F*d/(2m) = gh
h = F*d/(2*m*g)
h = (810)*(2)/(2*7*9.8)
h = 1620/137.2
h = 11.8m

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
bjr_jyd15 said:
Now, I'm pretty sure work=kinetic engergy. try to find the initial veloc. of the ball. then use kinematics to find max height.

Please correct me if I'm showing my stupidity here, but if the above statement is true, then would whozum's equation be incorrect in that
"F*D=mv^2" or would it be F*D=.5mv^2,
which would make it:

F*D/m=gh --> h=F*D/m*g

Thanks
Chris

For some reason when I wrote that, I had a reason that the 1/2 shouldn't be there, but now that I'm looking back at it, I have no idea why I omitted it.

You are correct.

[tex] KE = Fd = 1/2 mv^2 [/tex]

thanks for clarifying that whozum

Related to Solve Energy/Work Problem: Find Height of Thrown Ball

1. How do you solve a problem finding the height of a thrown ball using energy/work equations?

To solve a problem finding the height of a thrown ball, you can use the equation h = (v^2*sin^2θ)/2g, where h is the height, v is the initial velocity of the ball, θ is the angle at which the ball was thrown, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What values do I need to know in order to solve for the height of a thrown ball?

In order to solve for the height of a thrown ball, you will need to know the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it was thrown, and the acceleration due to gravity. You can also solve for the height if you know the time it takes for the ball to reach its highest point.

3. Can I use this equation to find the height of a ball thrown at any angle?

Yes, you can use this equation to find the height of a ball thrown at any angle. Just make sure to use the correct angle in the equation and to use consistent units for all values.

4. What if the ball is thrown from a height or lands on a different height?

This equation assumes that the ball is thrown and lands at the same height. If the ball is thrown from a different height or lands on a different height, you will need to adjust the equation to account for the change in initial or final height.

5. Can this equation be used for any type of ball?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of ball as long as the initial velocity, angle, and acceleration due to gravity are known. However, it may not be as accurate for objects with significantly different shapes or air resistance.