Solve Elevator Motion/Time: 230m, 5.8m/s, 1.0m/s2

• Thread starter Cman1494
  • Start date
In summary, an elevator with a maximum speed of 5.8 m/s and an acceleration/deceleration of 1.0 m/s2 ascends 230 m. In order to determine how far the elevator moves while accelerating to full speed from rest, the equation x = v/2a can be used, resulting in a distance of 16.82 m. To calculate the time it takes for the elevator to make a complete trip from bottom to top, the problem can be broken into three sections: the elevator going up with an acceleration of 1.0 m/s2, a period of rest, and the elevator coming back down with a deceleration of 1.0 m/s2. The elevator travels
Cman1494
A hotel elevator ascends 230 m with a maximum speed of 5.8 m/s. Its acceleration and deceleration both have a magnitude of 1.0 m/s2.

(a) How far does the elevator move while accelerating to full speed from rest?
I got this part:

x = v/2a = 5.8/2(1) = 5.82/2 = 16.82 m

(b) How long does it take to make the complete trip from bottom to top?

I broke the problem up into three sections: the elevator going up (1.0 m/s2), the elevator at rest (0), and the elevator coming back down (-1.0 m/s 2). I know that the elevator goes 230 m up and then 230 m down, but I cannot figure out which kinematic equation to use or if I need to use calculus (I have limited calculus knowledge).

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about how an elevator operates as it goes up: it accelerates, travels at constant speed for a while, then decelerates. Same 3 phases on the down trip. Don't worry about the elevator at rest part--assume it goes up, stops for less than an instant, then goes back down.

Related to Solve Elevator Motion/Time: 230m, 5.8m/s, 1.0m/s2

What is the formula for solving elevator motion/time?

The formula for solving elevator motion/time is d = 1/2at^2 + v0t + d0, where d is the distance traveled, a is the acceleration, t is the time, v0 is the initial velocity, and d0 is the initial position.

How do I calculate the distance traveled by an elevator?

To calculate the distance traveled by an elevator, you can use the formula d = 1/2at^2 + v0t + d0, where d is the distance traveled, a is the acceleration, t is the time, v0 is the initial velocity, and d0 is the initial position. Plug in the given values and solve for d.

How do I determine the time it takes for the elevator to travel a certain distance?

To determine the time it takes for the elevator to travel a certain distance, you can use the formula t = (v-v0)/a, where t is the time, v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. Plug in the given values and solve for t.

What is the acceleration of the elevator?

The acceleration of the elevator is 1.0m/s2, as given in the problem.

What is the final velocity of the elevator?

The final velocity of the elevator is 5.8m/s, as given in the problem.