Solve Electrical Potential Homework: 24 kV, Droplet Mass 2.2 x 10^-13 kg

The downward electric force, F = qE, must be equal to the upward gravitational force, F = mg, for the droplet to remain stationary. This allows us to solve for the charge, q, as q = mg/E. Plugging in the given values, we find that the charge on the oil droplet is 3.3 x 10^-17 C. In summary, to find the charge on an oil droplet of mass 2.2 x 10^-13 kg that remains stationary in a 24 kV electric field between two parallel plates separated by 1.8 cm, the equation q = mg/E can be used, where q is the charge, m is the mass, g is the
NZS92

Homework Statement

A potential difference of 24 kV maintains a downward-directed electric field between two horizontal parallel plates separated by 1.8 cm. Find the charge on an oil droplet of mass 2.2 x 10^-13 kg that remains stationary in the field between the plates.

Homework Equations

PE=KE
qV=(1/2)mv^2

V=Ed

E=k(q/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

PE=KE
qV=(1/2)mv^2
q=((1/2)mv^2)/V

If velocity is zero, then "q" is zero. Since its stationary. (I think the only way to find velocity is PE=KE)
I'm stucked at here, any solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the forces acting on the droplet.

Related to Solve Electrical Potential Homework: 24 kV, Droplet Mass 2.2 x 10^-13 kg

1. What is the formula for calculating electrical potential?

The formula for calculating electrical potential is V = kq/r, where V is the potential, k is Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance.

2. How do I convert kilovolts (kV) to volts (V)?

To convert kilovolts to volts, simply multiply the value in kV by 1000. In this case, 24 kV would be equivalent to 24,000 V.

3. How do I calculate the mass of a droplet in kilograms?

To calculate the mass of a droplet in kilograms, you can use the formula m = density x volume. The density of water is approximately 1000 kg/m^3, and the volume of a droplet can be calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the droplet. In this case, the droplet's mass would be 2.2 x 10^-13 kg.

4. What is the significance of electrical potential in physics?

Electrical potential is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is used to calculate the strength of the electric field and can be used to determine the behavior of charged particles in an electrically charged system.

5. How do I apply electrical potential in real-world scenarios?

Electrical potential has numerous applications in the real world, from powering electrical devices to transmitting electricity over long distances. It is also used in medical devices, electronic circuits, and even in the production of renewable energy. Understanding electrical potential can help in designing and optimizing these systems for practical use.