Solve Electric Diode Problem: Find I & V

In summary, the problem asks to find the values of I and V for the circuit shown in the figure, assuming ideal diodes. The solution involves determining whether D1 is on or off and then using voltage divider equations to solve for V. The given solution assumes D1 is on and D2 is off, resulting in V=10v and I=0. It is recommended to leave the question up for reference purposes.
Learnphysics

Homework Statement

Find values of I and V for the circuits of figure; assuming that the diodes are ideal.
http://yfrog.com/081034op

Picture: http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3026/1034o.png

Homework Equations

I can use KVL/KCL.

And have a rough knowledge of finding wheather a diode is on or off using guess and check method.

The soloution given by multiple sources is assuming D1 is on and D2 is off, V=10v and I=0.

(it may be possible that the question itself is stated wrong), are these answers correct/possible?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know current I is 0. if D2 is off (because it creates an open circuit).

but i don't understand how 10v is obtained for V...

Ah, i see We apply voltage divider equations, (New question: do i delete this thread or leave it up for anyone else to reference)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Learnphysics said:

Homework Statement

Find values of I and V for the circuits of figure; assuming that the diodes are ideal.
http://yfrog.com/081034op

Picture: http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3026/1034o.png

Homework Equations

I can use KVL/KCL.

And have a rough knowledge of finding wheather a diode is on or off using guess and check method.

The soloution given by multiple sources is assuming D1 is on and D2 is off, V=10v and I=0.

(it may be possible that the question itself is stated wrong), are these answers correct/possible?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know current I is 0. if D2 is off (because it creates an open circuit).

but i don't understand how 10v is obtained for V...

Ah, i see We apply voltage divider equations, (New question: do i delete this thread or leave it up for anyone else to reference)

Glad you figured it out. In general, it is best to leave up your question, even if you figured it out without extra help from others. For sure you should not delete your original question if it has received responses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solve Electric Diode Problem: Find I & V

1. What is an electric diode?

An electric diode is a device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It consists of a semiconductor material with two terminals, an anode and a cathode.

2. How do I solve an electric diode problem?

To solve an electric diode problem, you will need to use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. You will also need to understand the characteristics of a diode, such as its forward and reverse biasing behavior.

3. How do I find the current (I) in an electric diode?

To find the current in an electric diode, you will need to apply Ohm's Law (I = V/R) and use the diode's forward voltage drop and resistance values.

4. How do I find the voltage (V) across an electric diode?

To find the voltage across an electric diode, you will need to use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to analyze the circuit and determine the voltage drop across the diode.

5. What are some common problems when solving electric diode problems?

Some common problems when solving electric diode problems include not understanding the characteristics of a diode, not correctly applying Ohm's Law or KVL, and not accounting for any external factors such as temperature or changing resistance values.