Solve Dynamics Problem: Find Time & Height of Cliff

• Thread starter MrWarlock616
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of two stones being thrown off a cliff with the same velocity. One stone is thrown upwards and the other downwards, and the question is how long the first stone will be in the air and the height of the cliff. The conversation goes on to provide equations for displacement and velocity and explains the attempts at solving the problem. Finally, a solution is given, which involves finding the time for the first stone to reach the bottom of the cliff and using that to calculate the height. The conversation also discusses the correct notation for displacement.
MrWarlock616

Homework Statement

From the edge of a cliff, two stones are thrown at the same time, one vertically upwards and the other vertically downwards with the same velocity of 20 m/s. The second stone reaches the ground in 5 s. How long will the first stone be in air? Also find the height of the cliff.

Homework Equations

## s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 ##

## v=u+at ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the height correctly.
Assuming edge of the cliff as the origin,

height h=-20*5-0.5*(-9.8)*(5^2)=-222.5 m.

For the first ball I found two displacements, one while going upwards (s1) and the other downwards (s2).

s1=20*t1-0.5*9.8*(t12)
s2=0*t1-0.5*9.8*(t22)=-4.9*(t22)

since s1=s2
∴ 20t1-4.9t12=-4.9t22 ...(1)
also from v=u+at
0=20-9.8t1, thus t1=2.04 s
putting in (1) i got t2=2.04 s.
The total time the ball was in the air = t1+t2=4.08 s.
The book gives the answer as 9.08 s. :( Is it wrongly printed? The solution given is:

222.65=20*t+0.5*9.8*t2. Solving for t, t=9.08 s. But how can the displacement for the first ball be 222.65 m? That's the height of the cliff!

Also, is it ok to write displacement s as,
s(u, t, a) = ut + 0.5*a*t2.
Will the examiner deduct marks for writing it like this? And u and a are constants so is it just s(t) or s(u, t, a) ?
Please help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's no reason to make two equations for the motion of the ball. The displacement of ball1 can be described using just one equation in the form:

[itex]\displaystyle s=\frac{at^2}{2}+v_0t+s_0[/itex]

Since you defined the edge of the cliff as 0, and then you found the time when ball 1's displacement was at 0, you only found the time it took ball1 to be thrown up and then pass the top of the cliff again. You need to find the time it takes to reach the bottom of the cliff.

In the solution you were given, they defined the positive direction to be downwards, so the final height of ball1 is positive after it drops off the cliff.

No! i got the height correctly!
they plugged in that height as the first ball's displacement which is wrong since it goes up!
can u also tell me how to write s?

MrWarlock616 said:
No! i got the height correctly!
they plugged in that height as the first ball's displacement which is wrong since it goes up!
can u also tell me how to write s?

The first ball starts by going up, but then it falls to the bottom of the cliff.

I gave you the equation you need for s (displacement), you just need to plug in the values from your problem. In the equation I posted above, a is acceleration (in this case, gravity), v0 is initial velocity, and s0 is initial position (which you defined as 0). Try writing the equation, and if you want to confirm you got it right, you can post it here.

Once you have that equation, you need to find the time that the ball (ball1) reaches the bottom of the cliff. To do this, you need to figure out where the bottom of the cliff is located on the coordinate system you defined (it sounds like you've done this), and plug in that value for s in your ball1 equation.

no i mean can u answer my last questions? is it s(u,t,a) or s(t)?

Last edited:
MrWarlock616 said:
no i mean can u answer my last questions? is it s(u,t,a) or s(t)?

Since u and a are constants in this case, it should be s(t). You probably wouldn't get counted off in first year physics unless your professor is strict about notation.

Okay thanks a lot! :smile: :smile:

Related to Solve Dynamics Problem: Find Time & Height of Cliff

1. How do I find the time and height of a cliff using dynamics?

To solve this problem, you will need to use the equation for projectile motion, which takes into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. By plugging in the known values and solving for time and height, you can determine the time it takes for the object to reach the top of the cliff and its height at that point.

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2. This means that for every second an object falls, its velocity increases by 9.8 meters per second.

3. Do I need to know the initial velocity and angle of launch to solve this problem?

Yes, the initial velocity and angle of launch are essential pieces of information needed to solve this dynamics problem. Without these values, you will not be able to accurately calculate the time and height of the cliff.

4. Can I use this method for objects thrown from a cliff, as well as objects thrown horizontally?

Yes, this method can be used for both objects thrown from a cliff and objects thrown horizontally. However, for objects thrown horizontally, the initial vertical velocity will be zero, and the angle of launch will be 90 degrees.

5. Are there any other factors that may affect the accuracy of my calculations?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the accuracy of your calculations, such as air resistance, wind, and the height of the cliff itself. These factors may need to be taken into account for a more precise solution.